Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wireless slow, wired fast

Contributor

Wireless slow, wired fast

I have U-Verse Internet 75 and I'm seeing quite a bit of difference in speed between wired and wireless connections.

For example. I went to speedtest.att.com/speedtest and ran the test. With my desktop PC with a wired connection connected directly to the U-Verse gateway (Pace 5268AC) I got speeds of 46.6mpbs download / upload 5.56mbps - Not the advertised 75mbps, but whatever, that's another topic.

Running the same test while connected via WiFi to the same U-Verse gateway with my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone I get speeds of 21.74mpbs download / upload 3.48mbps. Quite a bit slower.

I then went over to speedtest.net and using their Android app got WiFi results of 9.10mbps download / 2.13 mbps upload. Even worse!

It's fairly early in the morning here at the house so there really isn't much WiFi activity other than me running the tests. Why is the WiFi so much slower than advertised? What can I do to get speeds comparable to having a direct ethernet connection?

Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: Wireless slow, wired fast

Can you provide a screenshot of the modem's Broadband Status page? I'll take a peek at the numbers.

Both the modem (5268) and your S8 have AC 5GHz, so they both should be able to overcome the speed limitations of 2.4GHz WiFi. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Here are the screenshots of my Broadband Status:

broadbandstatus1.JPGpart 1broadbandstatus2.JPGpart 2broadbandstatus3.jpgpart 3broadbandstatus4.JPGpart 4

Message 3 of 6
Employee

Thanks for posting this. 

I'm mostly looking at User Rate and Max User Rate here. 

I was thinking that perhaps you had a line issue at first and that 1 line was down, but they are indeed both up and functioning.

What's interesting is that both lines have a good max (the capability of the line), their both around 80000kbps (80mbps)

But what you're being given is 27000kbps per line (27mbps) which when bonded is around 55mbps.

I'd call into our support line and have them take a look to see if there is some provisioning error going on.

Keep me posted!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6
Employee

Are you sure about your speed tier?

The 75 is $20 more a month than the lower tier of 50 or below.

Your on a bonded 55M profile with 45/6 internet package.  Thus your hardwired tests are where I would expect.  

Wireless appears to be on the 2.4Ghz network. If you have older software with the SSID/passwords the same you will connect to the 2.4 network.  You need to change the 5Ghz network name (add 5G as example) save then on device wifi settings, find new network name and connect...  Should see higher wifi speeds (35-45).

The newer software update on 5268 using band steering requires both networks to have same ssid / password. 

How to tell software version...  When access gateway and go to wifi page... If asks for DAC (device access code) have update with band steering.  If wifi page comes up right away, make change, save and then asks for DAC have older software requiring separate SSIDs. 

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Yes, I'm certain of my package. I'm staring at my bill and it says "AT&T Internet 75". The hardware is new within the last month or so. I tested and I appear to have the new software update on my 5268.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support