For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
lrcasey_1's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Monday, January 24th, 2011 6:04 AM

Wireless drops every 10 minutes - I've followed all of the suggested tips I could find

My wireless connection drops every 10 minutes on a very consistent basis.  On my iPad and Android wireless devices, I must turn off wifi and then turn it back on to use wireless again or wait a few minutes and then it will work again.  I gave up trying to keep a steady connection for streaming Netflix to my DVD player and ended up hardwiring it.  Thus far I have:

1.  Disabled Wi-Fi Protected Setup

2.  Installed inSSIDer 2.0 and set my wireless access point to channnel 11, the best channel per inSSIDer

3.  Changed my Authentication Type to "WPA-PSK (TKIP)" from WPA2.

4.  Prayed

5.  Cursed

I have 2 Uverse wireless access points currently running but even with only one connected, the issue is exactly the same.  I still have issues everyday and it is extremely frustrating.  My next option is to sacrifice a chicken but I'm hoping someone out there has a better suggestion.  I'm willing to try anything.

As a side note, DCHP doesn't seem to work for any wireless device so I am forced to set a static IP for every wireless device on my network. 

Capture.JPG

Thanks for your help.

-Larry

San Jose, CA

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, unless you have your network completely separated from your television network it should be avoided or you will lose your IPTV network, causing your television to stop working.

I completely agree with you turning off your 2wire.  That is how mine is set, if it is on it is interfering with the new Linksys wireless network you have set up.  The only danger in increasing the power of your Linksys router is that it can burn up the the processor.  But 75mW sounds reasonable to me if it is working for your wireless clients.  I have run mine at much, much higher power and haven't had problems.

Just make sure when you are running your router at high power that you have a password protecting it so drivebys aren't able to access your network.

Regards,

Jason

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

It's after hours, so we have to wait for your photo to be approved by the Mod (we can't see it yet).

Sounds like you've tried MAC filtering already?  And everything else that would be recommended.

Have you taken a look at SomeJoe's tutorial on Wireless Interference?

You may have to use another router behind the UV RG for Wireless (I resorted to that once).  If there is something that is interfering beyond your control, that's just about the only option.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

Larry:

do you have these WAPs running straight out of the RG, or connected to a router behind the RG?

Mike

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I have them running straight off the RG. 

Prior to Uverse I always used my own routers, changed firmware to Tomato, etc. but I was really trying to use a basic setup this time around.

Thanks.

-Larry

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

There are two access points with the SSID Casey2.  I guess that one of these is the RG and the other is your 2nd access point?  They are on the same channel and I beleive that even if the two access points have the same SSID they should be on seperate channels so that they don't interfere with each other.  Try leaving one on channel 11 and move the other to channnel 1.  You should have the dhcp service turned off in your access point so that the RG will be the only dhcp server on the network.

Tom

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I have 2 of the same model RG's provided by Uverse connected to my incoming phone line (in different parts of the house), however I believe one acts as the RG and one as an additional access point.  What I have tried thus far:

- Both on Auto Channel

- Both on manual different channels

- Both on the same channel

- Disconnecting the 2nd RG that I have in the living room.

None of the above made a difference.

I will check on the DHCP service but I was thinking there was only one place to turn that on/off and not on each RG.

Thanks.

-Larry

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I have confirmed that the DCHP setting is not by individual AP but an overall setting so there is nothing I can change there.

Any other ideas?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

13 years ago

Drop the 2-Wire Wireless.  Do what I've done:

1. Turn off the Wireless on the 2 wire
  2.  Purchase a decent quality wireless router(you'll set it up as an access point) or access point - I recommend the Apple AirPort Extreme due to it's ease of use and strong signal but the new Cisco routers are high quality as well.
  3. Plug your new wireless router or access point's WAN port into one of the ethernet ports on the 2-wire router.
  4. Read in the manual what the default IP address is of your new wireless router or with the Airport Extreme, Install the AirPort Utility. Either enter the IP address or open the AirPort Utility and configure the wireless device to be a wireless access point (This way the 2-wire is still giving the IP addresses via DHCP).
  5. Logon to your new wireless network

I haven't had any issues and the benefit of this is you are going to be using a wireless router that is different than others nearby.  This can only cut down on interference between the two devices.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

I second jasonshurb - stop using the ATT built in wifi. It's junk. Use your own linksys/apple airport/whatever and you will be much happier.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

@jasonshurb wrote:

Drop the 2-Wire Wireless.  Do what I've done:

1. Turn off the Wireless on the 2 wire
  2.  Purchase a decent quality wireless router(you'll set it up as an access point) or access point - I recommend the Apple AirPort Extreme due to it's ease of use and strong signal but the new Cisco routers are high quality as well.
  3. Plug your new wireless router or access point's WAN port into one of the ethernet ports on the 2-wire router.
  4. Read in the manual what the default IP address is of your new wireless router or with the Airport Extreme, Install the AirPort Utility. Either enter the IP address or open the AirPort Utility and configure the wireless device to be a wireless access point (This way the 2-wire is still giving the IP addresses via DHCP).
  5. Logon to your new wireless network

I haven't had any issues and the benefit of this is you are going to be using a wireless router that is different than others nearby.  This can only cut down on interference between the two devices.

If you wish to use a SOHO router as an Access Point (suggested because it only extends the wired domain into the wireless), then plug the RG LAN port into the new SOHO router's LAN port.

You can give the router a static IP address so it's managable from the LAN. You must turn off DHCP and other services in the SOHO router so they don't conflict with the RG (or at least assign a different non-overlapping range)

It might be cheaper to just use an Access Point (no router functionality), but using a router like an access point permits you to change the config later if the needs of the network change such that you want to use the DMZ plus option of the RG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.