For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
golffanatic16's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Saturday, March 26th, 2016 6:20 PM

Wireless Printing Issues With U-Verse Internet

I have problems with the computers in my house not being able to communicate with the printers over wi-fi. I use a Netgear router for wi-fi. This problem happens frequently and I can't seem to find a permanent solution. The printers are connected to wi-fi and the signal strength is excellent. Could someone please tell me how to fix this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I found the source of my problem. Since my router is dual band, the printers were trying to connect to both 2.4 and 5ghz signals. I had to rename the 5ghz network name. Simple fix. Thanks for responding. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@golffanatic16  Might try using Google DNS in the printer. Many devices find they can connect using Google DNS. It bypasses Uverse RG DNS.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Hey @mibrnsurg,

Thanks for responding to my post. I tried changing the DNS on the printer and still had no luck. Do I need to change both the primary and secondary DNS? I don't know what else to do. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@golffanatic16   If you can put 8.8.4.4 is as the secondary, why not?  Then maybe reboot the RG and see if it'll connect w/printer still plugged in. Smiley Surprised

Edit:  You are using WPA2-PSK(AES) security in the RG?  Sometimes devices need that to connect for security purposes.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@golffanatic16 - Sounds like an intermittant problem.Hard to come up with a solution other than a better signal.

You cannot wire it to the RG?

I would try connecting it to a computer via USB & accessing it from other computers via sharing. I have one printer connected this way & another on wi-fi.

If you have an STB connected to the RG via COAX, plugh a cat5 between it and the printer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have found nothing to assist me with my problem / I think that my router is faulty and keeps dropping the wireless signal to my printer . And it is always when I need it the most

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I have not found a true solution to my problem yet. I still deal with this from time to time. Throughout the day, my internet speed will fluctuate. Since I have a Netgear Nighthawk router, I thought all my problems would go away. I'm also dealing with signal strength issues. My router doesn't send out a 100% signal strength anymore. When I switch the channel of my router, it fixes one wireless printing issue but then another wireless printer has issues. Is this something ConnecTech could help me with?  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I've got a new dual band router as well and when I saw your post I got real excited.  Same thing, however, even after renaming the 5 GHz ssid.  If I'm lucky I can print a document after waking up the printer - else the doc errors out in printing and then I have to cycle the printer again and this then seems to push the print job out after the printer initializes.  I keep a watch on the device thru the admin page (198.168.1.254) and I can see the printer active for a few mins, then inactive after that.  Once it goes inactive, I'm hosed.  This is driiving me nuts.  I didn't seem to have this problem prior to the speed (and router) upgrade.  Funny the blazing download speed they promised (75mbps) has not been realized either.  I'm getting tired of fighting these things.  Any help would be appreciated.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

I understand your frustration. However, I don't know how to fix the issue. Since I upgraded my internet speed, I don't struggle with printer offline issues as much. The best answer I received from Brother tech support was uninstall the driver software and then reinstall it. That doesn't fix the problem. I think it's more of a Windows 10 problem. I never had this issue with Windows 7. Back then, my internet was 18mbps. Now, it's 45mbps. However, AT&T only guarantees that you will receive 75% of the advertised speed. Actually, I only get about 30mbps. They rip you off. Good luck.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Resolved my problem with 5268AC dual band router and my wireless HP Color MFP M277dw - the printer kept getting dropped fromo Active status on the router after a few minutes.  I finally decided to google HP about the issue and I ended up downloading a firmware upgrade.  Lo and behold - it works.  My printer has now be 'Active' for days and I can print whenver I want.  Of, the little pleasures in life.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.