For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
r781721841's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 6th, 2012 6:01 PM

Windows Home Server that was accessible via DSL, no longer available on U-Verse

I have recently "upgraded" to Uverse from SBC DSL.  My new Uverse setup also has a wirless STB, so there is an additonal wireless box hooked up to the 2-Wire 3800 Gateway.  This being said, the wireless STB uses port 443 to conduct its business. (I see that the 3800 has this port already forwarded to the wireless STB router).  My WHS box also used that port for its secured logon. 

I also incorporated my exisiting network (Netgear WNDR3700) behind the 2-Wire and everything works fine.  I followed SomeJoe777's advice here:  http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182  I have the inside network in the 10.0.0 range and the 2-Wire remains in the 198.168.1 range, both on the 255.255.255.0 subnet.

I changed both the internet (port 80) and secured (port 443) to 1024 and 4443 respectively on my WHS IIS configuration.  I did this following these instructions:  http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=23   I can access the WHS box fine using my domain name and my Internet IP address while inside the network.  However, when I try to access the box from outside the network, I cannot get in.  Does Uverse block those ports on the ISP side?  SomeJoe777, are you out there?  I've read a lot of your posts and look forward to your and anyone else's advice.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Those ports (1024 and 4443) are not blocked by AT&T and should work for access to the WHS from the Internet. However, you will need to create a custom firewall rule for those ports on the 2Wire, and then apply that rule to the WHS. You cannot use the built-in rules for HTTP and HTTPS, since they would forward port 80 and 443, respectively.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I have the WNDR3700 set as the DMZ on the 2Wire, and those ports are forwarded to the WHS on the WNDR3700. The WHS has a static internal IP. I can additionally forward the ports on the 2Wire to the WNDR3700. Is that what you're suggesting, even though the WNDR3700 is in the DMZ?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Bah. It was my employer blocking the 4443 port. I can reach the server on my phone. Sorry for wasting your time.

Just curious. Is it possible for ATT to change the port on its wireless STB router, so I can continue to access the server as I did before?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

At this time, the wireless STB access point uses 443 and there appears to be no way to change this. AT&T's system automatically uses that port for it.

You could purchase a static IP block, and use one of those static IPs on the outside interface of your WNDR3700 instead of the DMZ address, and then you could use 443.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.