ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 2:13 PM

Wi-Fi FAQs: Questions and Solutions

Wi-Fi FAQs Title.jpgSlide3.JPG

Answer: RF (Radio Frequencies) interference can be a major interferer to Wi-Fi performance creating both:

• security vulnerabilities
  • wireless network instability

Solution: Great article that helps identify sources of interference can be found here to help with identifying interference to shield or remove your device from the network.

*You can’t sweep away the interference problem. A lot of things can cause broad RF spectrum emissions (Bluetooth devices, microwaves, fluorescent lights). These types of interference typically don’t work cooperatively with 802.11 devices.

Slide4.JPG

Answer: Slow Wi-Fi can be caused when an 802.11 device senses an interference burst.

• It will hold off transmission until the interference burst is finished.
  • If the interference burst starts in the middle of an ongoing 802.11 transmission, the lack of an acknowledgement packet will cause the transmitter to resend the packet.
  • For example, microwave ovens have been known to reduce Wi-Fi speeds by half since they operate on the same frequency as Wi-Fi devices.

Solution: We have found that many of our customers have improved Wi-Fi speed using this thread for router.

Slide5.JPG

Answer: The router is supposed to change the Wi-Fi channel automatically if too much interference. BUT that auto-channel switch doesn’t solve what causes the interference.

• Some interfering devices – for example, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, 802.11FH devices, jamming emissions – are broadband, so it’s not possible to change channels away from them: they are everywhere in the band.
  • In the end, it’s best to identify the source of interference then determine “best action” such as removing the device from the premises, relocate, or shield the device from impacting your network.

Solution: Start with changing the Wi-Fi channel for your router. Select your router type that links you to steps on how to change your wireless channel for the NVG and 2Wire/Pace gateway.

Slide6.JPG

Answer: It seems intuitive that by having multiple Wi-Fi Access Points in the home, it’s more likely that my Wi-Fi device will be able to connect successfully even with interference.

• Unfortunately, when you deploy a dense network of access points, it’s necessary to reduce the transmit signal power of each of the access points. If you don’t reduce the power, the access points generate interference to each other, a phenomenon known as co-channel interference.

Solution: Best practice is to use trial an error to identify the best transmit signal power for Wi-Fi and incorporate this guide to minimize wireless interference.

Slide7.JPG

Answer: It is generally true that fewer devices currently operating at 5 GHz are causing interference as compared to 2.4-GHz devices.

• However, just as everyone moved from 900 MHz to 2.4 GHz to avoid interference, the “band jumping” effect will catch up with 5 GHz. Some devices that already exist at 5 GHz include cordless phones, radar, perimeter sensors, and digital satellite.

Solution: It best to start with a good Wi-Fi setup and then identify source of interference and remove source of interference.

TSR Slow Browse Deep Dive Banner.jpg

Have more questions on Wi-Fi? Feel free to visit the Wi-Fi Troubleshooting post.

For additional assistance send us a private message by clicking here. Keep an eye on the envelope at the top right corner of your screen for a response. In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

7 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

For more information about Wi-Fi related issues, feel free to visit the Wi-Fi Troubleshooting post.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My password is not working for to connect to wifi and it hasnt changed.?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

@Shane1981 ,

I don't know if this may be your problem, but one time my AT&T router did an update, and my old password would no longer work.  It had been a mix of letters and numbers, and when I changed it to all numbers, then it worked.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.