Need help with your equipment?
piercedfreak's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, April 6th, 2018 1:25 AM

Why is the dns server 1.1.1.1 blocked by AT&T?

I want to try out the new Cloudflare DNS servers, but they appear to be blocked by AT&T. Why are they blocked?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same here connectivity to 1.1.1.1 on port 53 fails but 1.0.0.1 works.

Cloudflare: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/fyi-not-working-with-at-t-u-verse/14773/6

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

The issue appears to be the RG (5268AC in my case) binding to the IP 1.1.1.1. Likely, a firmware update is needed.

Additional reporting: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31901379-AT-T-gateway-5268ac-maybe-others-misrouting-1-1-1-0-24

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

6 years ago

My RG is a BGW 210. Both 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 were working perfectly until the recent 1.5.11 firmware update. Now neither addresses work. AT&T has successfully blocked them with the new update. Probably on purpose otherwise wouldn't we see an announcement from AT&T about this and and estimate when they will be able to fix the problem. Surely AT&T knows about this issue. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Read the dslreports link that @jeneric's post above points at.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

6 years ago

I'd rather have AT&T officially reply to why they are blocking security enabled DNS servers. Not speculation from other sources. Just why are they doing it even after they promised on social media to fix it ASAP.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

@Transponder wrote:

I'd rather have AT&T officially reply to why they are blocking security enabled DNS servers. Not speculation from other sources. Just why are they doing it even after they promised on social media to fix it ASAP.

This is not a channel for official responses from AT&T.  You'd need to go to support or a spokesman for that.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

6 years ago

I didn't ask AT&T to reply here. Their spokesperson can reply via any channel they have available. I'll bet they don't want people to know they are blocking security enabled DNS servers so no reply will ever come from any source.

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

6 years ago

Its a known issue with the RG's firmware, and has been for a while, and AT&T isn't the only provider affected. Cloudflare themselves have recommended not using 1.1.1.1 until its cleared up, instead use 1.0.0.1

Or use google's DNS in the meantime.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31901379-AT-T-gateway-5268ac-maybe-others-misrouting-1-1-1-0-24

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

*****  Full stop...  Suggestions that his is a CPE issue is misdirection.    GTT is blocking 1.1.1.1 on the uplink to AT&T.  There is no fix on the CPE.  The problem is all AT&T/GTT related.

As of 5/1/2019, the problem still exists.

[word filter avoidance]

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry no, the problem was fixed with new firmware for the RGs last year. If you still have the problem I would suggest you call ATT and have them push new firmware or download and do it yourself.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.