Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why does echo dot keep losing connection?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does echo dot keep losing connection?

My Echo dot continuously loses its connection to Wi-Fi. Everything else on my Wi-Fi (laptop and phone) work perfectly fine. Whenever I reset my router or modem it connects just fine but then within 8-48 hours it loses the connection again and will not connect. I've been on the phone with amazon tech support several times and once we reset the router and it connects we end the call and then some hours later it loses its connection again so we never get to the base of the problem. We even looped in AT&T tech support on one of the calls and still nothing as all they did was remotely reset my modem and then when it connected they said great and ended the call. Then about a day later it disconnected again.

According to a thread i found on here apparently having the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections named the same is the problem. But I tried renaming my 2.4 ghz connection and my echo dot has connected to it. Then just like an hour or so later it disconnected. All my other devices are still connected to the wifi.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Its so frustrating to buy something cool and not be able to use it!

Message 1 of 86
Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo Dot keeps losing connection to WiFi

192.168.1.254 just keeps timing out.

Message 16 of 86
Contributor

192.168.1.254 is not the only IP address used by routers, or "Residential gateways". If that address times out, then it is not the IP address your equipment is using. A couple of other common ones are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. If these don't work, you'll need to look yours up. An easy way to do this is to click the Start button and type "cmd" without quotes. A black command prompt box should appear. in this box type "ipconfig" (without quotes) and it will list your network configuration. Search through the results for a line that says "Default Gateway. . . . .X.X.X.X" and the X's will be your routers IP address. This is what you type into your browser.

Once in your router's configuration page, you will need to find the section dealing with your wireless configuration, specifically the 5g band. Hopefully there will be a drop-down box that lets you choose the channel. My Netgear Orbi 5g channels only go up to 48 so I was unable to test this solution myself, but good luck. I may just disable my 5g try using 2.4g only for my Echoes.

Message 17 of 86
ACE - Professor

@Heatherg

You're trying to connect to an AT&T residential gateway?  If yes, reboot it. If you can connect your PC to one of the yellow ports on the back with a cat 5 Ethernet cable, should be quickest way.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 86
Contributor

That has nothing to do with it .. I’ve replaced my router and it’s directly across the room from my Alexa and I have a $300 router RT-AC88U so don’t  say it’s that their is a problem with Alexa nothing is blocking my signal I have 5 antennas 100mbps /10 upload so it’s definitely not a speed issue and I only have 7 devices connected and none are pulling more bandwidth than others it’s a software issue simple as that 

Message 19 of 86
Contributor

I can confirm that turning of the 802.11a option for the 5GHz in the WiFi Router solved the problem of my echo dot constantly loosing WiFi after it already had connected fine.
Changed the router's WiFi Settings from "802.11a/n/ac" to "802.11n/ac" and echo dots work just fine now.

Message 20 of 86
Tutor

What does "factory standards" mean?  I was just installed by ATT and am having the same problem. I'd think they installed the router to factory standards.

Message 21 of 86
Tutor

OK.  Kinda figured out what you're saying. But my Dot does not recognize the 5G wifi. Only the 2.4G.  5 does not show up as a choice in setting up the Dot.  Any ideas about that?

Message 22 of 86
Tutor

Never mind.  Got it.

Message 23 of 86
ACE - Professor

One of the few customizations I make to the ATT RG is to set the 5GHz radio to a specific channel.  EG. 149.  Amazon products do not connect on all channels.  A web search will yield articles to explain why.  If leaving the RG on Automatic setting, eventually the 5GHz radio will select an incompatible channel and the devices will likely revert to the 2.4GHz radio if using band steering, or won't connect at all.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 86
Tutor

OK.  I am on 5G.  I am using 801.11 n/ac. I've changed my freq to 149.  And STILL it drops off wifi every couple seconds.  Strength is good so it's not that. I've used Dot with wifi in the past with another carrier besides ATT and it worked without any problems. This makes it hardly worth it to even have a Dot if I can't use it to play music.  A BT speaker and my phone are more reliable.

Message 25 of 86
ACE - Professor

@rogerperk

I have my Dot configured this way. As well as 3 AFTVs and 2 FireHD tablets. 

Have you already been through factory reset? I would try this as a last resort in case it hasn’t been suggested. I do this when I start to see unpredictable behavior. 

Message 26 of 86
Tutor

I have a NetGear modem- Can you tell me how to change to 5Ghz?

Message 27 of 86
Tutor

I have an att fiber uverse connection at my office. The router is an Arris NVG595 router. It does not have a “guest network” option which I have used at home to connect to my ATT service with Amazon, Nest and Ring devices when the “main” wifi wouldn’t connect. I have set the 5.0 channel to 149 as suggested. The alexa App. Sees the network I am trying to connect to but is “unable to connect.” This happens consistently and despite my power cycling the router etc. I have no issues connecting other devices to the network except firewalled company issued computers.

Any thoughts from ATT employee/tech support or others about this problem?

Thanks.

Message 28 of 86
ACE - Professor

@willylum

I do not believe the Arris' guest network operates on 5GHz frequency, but rather 2.4GHz only .  I'd never rely on guest network for the purpose stated. 

If you're sure the NVG599 is broadcasting on channel 149, then the problem could be distance related or the RG itself .  The experience with the 599 I just replaced wasn't that good.  Signal strength was poor but could have been just a weak or defective unit. 

Cheers

Message 29 of 86
Tutor

Thanks. You are correct the Guest Network on my home RG is 2.4 only. As mentioned after hours trying to get some Nest cameras connected to the regular 2.4 without success tried the Guest and promptly connected and has worked since. The issue is trying to connect to/through the Arris RG at work. Have good signal strength etc. Going to take the echo dot home and see if I can connect there. If I can may ask to replace/update the 2yo Arris at work. My thoughts are/were there is some setting/firewall/blocked port in the RG that won’t let these devices communicate through the router. Will keep you posted. Appreciate the help.

Bill
Message 30 of 86
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support