Need help with your equipment?
DJ_Baar's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, March 12th, 2017 1:06 PM

Why Does my INTERNET Loose Connectivity ONLY Saturday Nights (High Volume Times)?

I have had a trouble call and AT&T upgraded the MODEM. But back to same thing.  Only during high volume bandwidth useage like Saturday nights, I loose INTERNET and not WIFI.  Mind you this is ONLY high volume times, occasionally a Friday night too, no troubles throughout the week.  I have to keep resetting my PC WIFI then it works until it LOOSES THE INTERNET SIGNAL FROM AT&T again.  It has done it on multiple devices, like another PC (laptop), NETFLIX (two TVs), and two cell phones.  So it is the SERVICE provided that is cut back on bandwidth or not enough bandwidth to handle the higher volume times usage.  And a trouble call will not resolve a "timed" issue, it is not my equipment, it is the service or lack of provided.  I'm getting tired of this regular problem on weekends ONLY, and may have to find another provider?

DJ

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@DJ_Baar

What level of AT&T service have you subscribed for?

What type and model of AT&T provided equipment were you given?

Since you have a PC, two TVs, and two cell phones, I would like you to run a test for me. What I would like you to do is, during non prime time, begin video streaming on each device but waiting a few minutes before starting a video stream on the next device. I want to determine how many video streams you can run concurrently before any video stream has issues. With this information plus knowledge of your level of AT&T service we may be able to determine the cause of your Saturday night experience.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T Internet Basic 6, Up to 6 Mbps download, Unlimited monthly data allowance

Copied from my account.  I can have only one PC running and just email knocks-out Internet or lack of thru AT&T WiFi.  Then check other devices for similar issue.  Only wife and I and we do not do a lot of streaming.  If watching NetFlix, that is it and sometimes that loosing Internet too.  Did not have this issue when on similar basic COX Internet and cable, so this surprised me.  I do not loose WiFi only the Internet bit stream.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Your download speed can range from 3.1 to 6 mbps; ref: AT&T Speed Tiers

"So it is the SERVICE provided that is cut back on bandwidth or not enough bandwidth to handle the higher volume times usage." The side you are not considering is that your bandwidth requirements exceed your level of service. Please refer to Speed Calculator to estimate your requirements. To me, based on your opening post, you are right at the edge of needing more bandwidth.

@ATTDSLCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

We never have more than two devices on line at a time and normally just
checking email and/or web browsing. Per your calculator that is 3Mbps.
Like today, home alone and I had to reset the WiFi just to connect with the
Internet and No One had been using it all day. Like I said, similar
service before with COX and this had been fine for a couple of months and
now it is a regular pain.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

"... I had to reset the WiFi just to connect with the Internet ..." There is no direct correlation between resetting a WiFi connection as a fix to gain internet connectivity. If your complaint is associated with your Windows PC, I suspect that you will have check the energy saving options associated with your PC's WiFi adapter. Windows can be configured to put the WiFi adapter asleep at periods of inactivity.

When you loose internet on one device what about other devices that use WiFi? What about Ethernet attached devices?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Only use WiFi and do not loose the WiFi connection just the Internet data
feed. When I loose it on one, it happens on second. (If wife on her PC
for example or check cell phones for loss of data update as WiFi is still
there too. But it is not like on all devices at same time. Usually only
one and sometimes two devices, like two PCs for email and possibly web
surfing info.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Okay, now I have a clearer picture. There is no WiFi issue.

I have to assume that there is no indication of an issue on your AT&T provided router/gateway (RG). All the lights are as when the internet is working. It is possible that your DSL could be taking circuit errors. Please look at the Settings/Broadband/Status page on your RG for that information.

Other than that there are two things to try:

1. On your PCs, change the DNS from the address learned from DHCP to 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 which are the IP addresses for Google DNS. AT&T DNS can be problematic at times.
  2. On your RG, disable IPv6 on the Settings/LAN/IPv6 page. IPv6 enabled can create additional, unnecessary traffic on your WiFi

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I left the Network Sharing Center open and watched it go from "Internet" to
"No Network Access" and Connection was fine to the AT&T Wi-Fi. My wife
has a brand new Lenova laptop and it has done similar to her and I was not
necessarily on line. Now just me and troubel keeping Internet reception
from AT&T while Wi-Fi is connected. Ready to cancel this for something
else. Had to again reset the Wi-Fi while doing this reply - again. But
then other times no problem. Appears to only be high useage times.

Just watched me loose Internet and come back on its own. This is NOT
NORMAL and I am paying for having Internet.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, just returned from out of town.

So, of all my suggestions, what have you done? Where do we stand?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Avoid using internet high volume times. Too many other things going on right now.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.