For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Paniscus's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 3rd, 2016 3:34 PM

What is U-verse?

So apparently, I'm not as techy as I thought.  I'm having a secure internet installed in my home in a few weeks for work, and they are asking me what kind of internet service I have:  DSL, Satellite, Cable etc.    I used to have DSL, but was talked into getting Uverse.  So. . . what exactly is uverse?  Is is fiber optics, Cable, DSL, etc? 

Hoping someone can answer here.. I called AT&T, but could not understand the lady on the other end of line ;/

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

Simple answer: It's Fiber Optic delivered either FTTP (Fiber to the Premises) or FTTN (Fiber to the Node).

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Paniscus  Uverse is IPTV and Internet layed out like this:

ATT has provided only 40-45% of ATT users w/UverseTV and internet (45-3M) on VDSL2, 30-35% users w/ ADSL2+ internet (18M-768K) for those beyond VDSL2 range and 20-25% of users will get no DSL of any kind. ATT has plans to shut down the old ADSL system, already started this year.

Those that get VDSL or ADSL 2+ can also get Uvoice ATT'sVOIP, but I recommend Basic Talk $9.99/mo instead.

All wireline users get FTTN service, fiber to the local VRAD and phone lines from there to their home.  ADSL 2+ can get service from an IRAD, VRAD or generally Cent Office fiber to the crossbox, (where a VRAD or IRAD could be located) then phone lines from there.

Wireline expansion is pretty much kaput. Only thing being installed is Gigapower, on new fiber optic cable, in very select neighborhoods already getting Uverse wireline service and in MDUs systemwide. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you so much, that is all I needed!

Much appreciated!!

Lee-Ann

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

8 years ago

I wouldnt change.. I have been given false promises, false promotions. Even with my paperwork, all they can say is sorry.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.