Need help with your equipment?
skipding's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Monday, March 14th, 2011 6:41 AM

What Happened!!!??

Did something happen to AT&T's internet? I have had U-verse for about 3 years now and up until about 2 weeks ago I have had great internet service. I regularly test my connection at speedtest.net and have had nice consistent flow of data. 2 weeks ago the on demand services started to act weird. There was a delay even when showing the description of the show. Then while viewing It would stall and eventually fail stating that the program could not be shown. At about the same time our internet started to get erratic My speed tests started to have major peaks and valleys. My download speeds would drop below .5 of a megabit often. I have subscribed to the 6 megabit plan and I understand that speeds are not guaranteed but it is not unreasonable to expect a constant flow of at least 3-4 megabits. Was there an update that has made my mac book not work correctly? I have tried changing the DNS servers as suggested in other forums but it did not help. I know 2wire modems by default is not mac friendly but I have had no issues until now. and I have no other options.

Does anyone know what's going on. Is this happening to anyone else?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

It looks like there may be a bridge tap on your line. A bridge tap is an extra length of wire attached to your pair that doesn't terminate anywhere. It is usually left over from a previous customer that used your pair. Bridge taps cause problems with xDSL services.

You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come find and remove the bridge tap.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I figured it out with your last reply. I had a PlugLink by Asoka installed when I got my Uverse installed. It uses the wiring in my home to link my older computers that do not have wireless internet and it has worked great for over 3 years. I unplugged the PlugLink and everything started working correctly. So to test it out I plugged it back in and things went wonky again. I have been running for several days now with it unplugged and everything works fine. Before I decided to report my findings I plugged it back in after several days and sure enough It started to disrupt my internet again. So getting rid of the PlugLink is my solution. Unfortunately I no longer have internet access on our second floor now but the Laptop is our main connection to the internet. Have you heard of anyone else having the same problem? Is there another solution to getting internet on the second floor? The PlugLink was a perfect solution because it allowed us to have internet without running cable or purchasing wireless components for the upstairs computers. We did not want to put any money into this computer because it is so old. It's about 8 years old, but is only used for email and internet. so it's fine for that.

My OnDemand is still not working but I think that is still a system wide problem being worked on by AT&T. Is that true or should I call again about it. I call about once a week.

Thanks so much for looking at my Realtime info. I have had several service guys out here and none of them thought to unplug this PlugLink Adapter. I sent you a small donation. It's not much But I felt I should send something. Thanks again!

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

13 years ago

The uverse realtime app is a great way to diagnose things like that.

If it's a line issue that will become more apparent using that application.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

In the configuration tab there is an option to hide personal information.

Tick that before you take screenshots.

I think the gurus will want to see IP/Profile, Error Table and Bitloading.

HTH.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

All my lines from the AT&T street box to my perimeter and in my house have already been replaced. Realtime is not for Apple Macintosh products except via emulation which I do not own. Regardless it looks like a pretty useless program. The only diagnosis it does is a line diagnosis which can be done by the friendly automated man from AT&T support number. Thanks anyway. I wish I had another tool to work with.

I am really interested to know if this problem is happening only to Cook County, Illinois Apple Macintosh subscribers. Any Windows folks having the same problem?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@skipding wrote:

All my lines from the AT&T street box to my perimeter and in my house have already been replaced. Realtime is not for Apple Macintosh products except via emulation which I do not own. Regardless it looks like a pretty useless program. The only diagnosis it does is a line diagnosis which can be done by the friendly automated man from AT&T support number. Thanks anyway. I wish I had another tool to work with.

VirtualBox is a free virtual machine environment for the Mac, and I have confirmation that UVRT runs properly under VirtualBox.

In my line stats database, nearly 25% of U-Verse customers have a line that is running outside proper operating parameters.  Yet, the automated diagnosis from AT&T does not flag anywhere near this percentage.

{Keep it Courteous}

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

13 years ago

If you can run UVRT and post some screenshots for us, perhaps we can help you troubleshoot, else... sorry, good luck with that 2020 number...

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I have realtime loaded now but I do not know what I'm doing. I have a dual boot mac and have it loaded in Win 7. Now that I have been spending some time in the windows side of my computer I have noticed that the connection runs much better in Windows. I'm starting to think that the issue may be with the Mac OS. I have internet stalls often in Safari and firefox while in Mac OS 10.6.6 and very few stalls while in Win 7. Does anyone know of a Mac only issue with Uverse and 10.6.6. that has recently popped up?

How long should I let Realtime gather data? Before posting screen shots.

I was wrong this is a neat utility. To bad there is not a native Mac version.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac to develop on, nor am I versed in the Mac programming environment, so looks like there will only be a Windows version for now.

If your 2Wire router has been up and running for 24 hours or so, you can take screenshots and post them at any time.  You don't need to let UVRT run for any specific period, as all data comes from the 2Wire router.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Interfaces-2011-03-22-06-14-30.pngErrorTable-2011-03-22-06-14-16.pngBitloading-2011-03-22-06-14-38.pngHere is my first set of screen shots.Stats-2011-03-22-06-13-36.png

4 Attachments

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Here is a screenshot from speedtest.net. According to the stats in speedtest all the problems are coming from the same server. when it selects the server for the test I either get the Chicago server or the Merrillville Server. The chicago server has alot of problems and the Merrillville server is almost perfectScreen shot 2011-03-22 at 6.56.59 AM.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.