Need help with your equipment?
leejosepho's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 8:29 PM

Westell 6100 and/or 6200 modem with a Linksys E2500 router

Hi.

Beginning next week, I plan to be using a new AT&T-branded Westell 6200 along with a Linksys E2500 router for my AT&T internet connection and access.  I know very little about all of this, so I am doing some research and reading as a bit of preparation ahead of time.

I have yet to find specific instructions for the 6200 in relation to the Linksys E2500, but the 6100 instructions I have found say this:

"Westell 6100 Procedure: ... Select 'Bridged Ethernet'... Click on Save and restart the connection at the bottom."

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9688

A Support Tech at AT&T has said I do *not* need to do that, but then neither does AT&T provide support for third-party setups.  Overall, I think I would like the 6200 to be a "dumb modem" -- I have read that somewhere -- and to then let the Linksys router handle everything else.

Question: Is there any good reason for me to *not* do that?

Along with all of that, I would also like to have my older Verizon-branded Westell 6100 to be useable as a backup modem...and I have already verified its ability to connect-and-work properly at AT&T.  However, I believe it needs a firmware upgrade in order to work with the Linksys router, and neither the Verizon upgrade file nor the AT&T upgrade file for the 6100 will install.  Verizon cannot and/or will not help me there since I no longer have a Verizon account, and an AT&T Support Tech has said AT&T no longer supports upgrading the 6100.  One AT&T Support Tech has claimed to have nevertheless tried to push an upgrade on in...but I am not sure any effort was ever actually made there.  So overall, what is my hope of finding some way to get either of these files...

[removed links to executable files]

...into my 6100?

Many thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

>> "Of course, because the 6200 appears to be a rebranded DM200, which is strictly ISP equipment, Netgear will not allow end-user access to any of the data for it, and Westell sings the same song for the 6100."

I was quite surprised when I got my new "Westell 6200" from AT&T (and that is exactly what I had been told would be arriving) and it had a Netgear interface while still looking like my older Westell 6100 from Verizon...and now I understand!  And when I later asked a Support Tech about that, only a hedgy response was offered.

>> "What really ticks me off, is that AT&T refuses to put up manuals for the customers to reference and feels that a few sentences on a FAQ about the most basic settings is sufficient, and is pigheaded about providing even the slightest bit of support for advanced configuration."

I can easily understand why AT&T or Verizon or any other provider would want to keep things as simple -- read "just as controlled and easy-set" -- as possible, but I am also someone who refuses to be treated as a child when I am the one paying for the equipment and wanting to configure it as I might please.

Overall, however, my new 6200 and the Linksys E2500 are working well together, and I thank you for your thoughts and attention here.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@leejosepho wrote:

Hi.

Beginning next week, I plan to be using a new AT&T-branded Westell 6200 along with a Linksys E2500 router for my AT&T internet connection and access.  I know very little about all of this, so I am doing some research and reading as a bit of preparation ahead of time.

I have yet to find specific instructions for the 6200 in relation to the Linksys E2500, but the 6100 instructions I have found say this:

"Westell 6100 Procedure: ... Select 'Bridged Ethernet'... Click on Save and restart the connection at the bottom."

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9688

A Support Tech at AT&T has said I do *not* need to do that, but then neither does AT&T provide support for third-party setups.  Overall, I think I would like the 6200 to be a "dumb modem" -- I have read that somewhere -- and to then let the Linksys router handle everything else.

Question: Is there any good reason for me to *not* do that?

Along with all of that, I would also like to have my older Verizon-branded Westell 6100 to be useable as a backup modem...and I have already verified its ability to connect-and-work properly at AT&T.  However, I believe it needs a firmware upgrade in order to work with the Linksys router, and neither the Verizon upgrade file nor the AT&T upgrade file for the 6100 will install.  Verizon cannot and/or will not help me there since I no longer have a Verizon account, and an AT&T Support Tech has said AT&T no longer supports upgrading the 6100.  One AT&T Support Tech has claimed to have nevertheless tried to push an upgrade on in...but I am not sure any effort was ever actually made there.  So overall, what is my hope of finding some way to get either of these files...

[removed links to executable files]

...into my 6100?

Many thanks.

How did you "already verified" that the Verizon modem will work on AT&T? As well, if you're getting Uverse internet it wil be ADSL2/2+ which the 6100 is not compatible with.

As firmware updates for modems are usually "pushed" to the modem by the service provider, it's not likely it would even accept the update from the user's side (even if you did have the file).

I can't find any manuals for the Netgear 6200, but there could be two or three different methods that the 6200 might use to be "bridged". Most modern modems do not have a bridge mode, and require sharing of the public IP or use what is called IP Passthrough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

First, I apologize for not getting back here a bit sooner: I had assumed an e-mail notification would be sent after someone had responded!

>> "How did you "already verified" that the Verizon [6100] modem will work on AT&T?"

I have had it connected (both long ago and recently) for internet access, but only for a short time until getting the AT&T 2wire modem/router combo connected and working about 2-1/2 years ago in order to also have wireless access inside the house.

>> "As well, if you're getting Uverse internet it wil be ADSL2/2+ which the 6100 is not compatible with."

I do not know anything about Uverse, so I must have just a regular DSL connection.

>> "As firmware updates for modems are usually "pushed" to the modem by the service provider, it's not likely it would even accept the update from the user's side (even if you did have the file)."

I might have to just forget about using the Westell 6100 as a backup modem.  Verizon either cannot or will not help me there since I no longer have a Verizon account, and one of the Support Techs at AT&T has said AT&T no longer supports 6100 upgrades.

>> "I can't find any manuals for the Netgear 6200, but there could be two or three different methods that the 6200 might use to be "bridged". Most modern modems do not have a bridge mode, and require sharing of the public IP or use what is called IP Passthrough."

The AT&T 6200 I have is Westell, not Netgear, and the info I have found so far says to put the Westell in bridge mode for connecting the Linksys E2500.  My E2500 arrived here a couple of hours ago, and I have now completed its firmware upgrade.  So after doing just a little more research on the matter of bridge mode for the modem connection, I will likely give all of this a try at some time tomorrow.

Many thanks!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

This is what AT&T sells: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5480275&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

This is from the Westell site:

"Most of Westell's CNS product line (ie., modems, gateways, routers) were sold to NETGEAR in April 2011. For information on these products, please visit the NETGEAR website."

Of course, because the 6200 appears to be a rebranded DM200, which is strictly ISP equipment, Netgear will not allow end-user access to any of the data for it, and Westell sings the same song for the 6100.

What really ticks me off, is that AT&T refuses to put up manuals for the customers to reference and feels that a few sentences on a FAQ about the most basic settings is sufficient, and is pigheaded about providing even the slightest bit of support for advanced configuration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@leejosepho wrote:

>> "Of course, because the 6200 appears to be a rebranded DM200, which is strictly ISP equipment, Netgear will not allow end-user access to any of the data for it, and Westell sings the same song for the 6100."

I was quite surprised when I got my new "Westell 6200" from AT&T (and that is exactly what I had been told would be arriving) and it had a Netgear interface while still looking like my older Westell 6100 from Verizon...and now I understand!  And when I later asked a Support Tech about that, only a hedgy response was offered.

>> "What really ticks me off, is that AT&T refuses to put up manuals for the customers to reference and feels that a few sentences on a FAQ about the most basic settings is sufficient, and is pigheaded about providing even the slightest bit of support for advanced configuration."

I can easily understand why AT&T or Verizon or any other provider would want to keep things as simple -- read "just as controlled and easy-set" -- as possible, but I am also someone who refuses to be treated as a child when I am the one paying for the equipment and wanting to configure it as I might please.

Overall, however, my new 6200 and the Linksys E2500 are working well together, and I thank you for your thoughts and attention here.

No problem, that's what we're here for.

Sorry I could not find the info you needed and be of more assistance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.