For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
sidv88's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 1:41 AM

Very slow loading of facebook that only happens on AT&T U-Verse

I have had a specific internet problem these past few weeks that seems to be narrowed to AT&T U-Verse. Here’s a short background of the situation: Our house has had AT&T DSL for years, and it worked fine. We switched to AT&T U-Verse after receiving a letter regarding it, and the switchover happened on November 4, 2014. For about a month afterwards, the internet service continued as normal and everything seemed to be fine.

However, starting around the week before Christmas, I had extremely slow service with 1 website, facebook. It could take up to 5 minutes for the page to load, and when it did it often loaded incompletely. This happens regardless of what web browser I am using (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox), and regardless of what device I am using (both of my Windows PC’s, my Android tablet, and my Android phone have a hard time loading facebook when they are connected to the AT&T U-Verse network). Only one of my PC’s is connected to the AT&T router by Ethernet cable; the other devices are connected by wireless. However, slow facebook loading has been an issue on all devices, and on all browsers in the network, and is still a problem for me continuing now.

I know this is not an issue with the facebook website or my facebook account itself, because I have been able to load facebook quickly and consistently on internet connections outside of my AT&T U-Verse network (at other people’s houses, on cellphone 4G, at the office, etc.) Also, friends signing into facebook at my house and connected to my AT&T U-Verse network also have very slow loading when signing into their facebook.

Strangely, this issue only seems to affect facebook so far. Other websites work fine in U-Verse as far as I can tell, and download and upload speeds on the U-Verse network seem to be normal for now. The U-Verse router that is installed is the Pace 5031NV.

The facebook slowness occasionally is non-existent. I would say roughly 20% of the time these days, I can load facebook cleanly and quickly without problems on the U-Verse network. However, this rarely lasts, and the next time I try to sign into facebook will take several minutes, with incomplete loading that often can’t load the chat list, multiple pictures not loaded, etc. 80% of the time trying to sign into facebook is like this now.

I don’t know how this problem started. Is there any way I can get this issue fixed? Thanks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. But how does one know whether IPv6 in AT&T U-Verse is present or not? And, how does one turn it off?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Follow the steps to see if IPv6 is on or off.
1. Go to 192.168.1.254
2. Go to broadband, configure
3. IPv6 will be at the bottom.
It is off then you will know you have other problem. If it is on, burn it off and click save. After turning off make sure to restart your device make sure the proper changes have been saved and applied.
Good luck
Alex

Scholar

• 

286 Messages

9 years ago

I do nt see an IPv6 do you have to go inside the RG using the password. Or are you talking about the Broadband link configuration.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I do not have an IPv6 entry in "Broadband" but I do have one in "Home Network - Wireless - Configure" which is "On." Is this the setting I should turn "Off." Thanks so much for the advice. Bruce

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Once you go to 192.168.1.254, broadband, configure, enter your system password on the side of the RG, and then turn off IPv6. If you find another ipv6 setting, you may turn it off. Don't forget to restart after changes are applied. It will not prompt u but it is recommended.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

My latency of web page loads has been MUCH IMPROVED since yesterday.

I did turn off IPv6, so I'm not sure if that was the determining factor, or if AT&T network technicians worked their magic, as I had a couple of discussions with their techs along the lines of this thread.

In any event, I am most grateful to all who helped.

Happy New Year!

Bruce

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I just wanted to mention that the steps outlined here to shut off ipv6 don't seem to correlate with anything I have on my router--there seems to be no option to shut off ipv6.  Furthermore, when I looked at this ipv6 test website: http://test-ipv6.com/ , I was told I don't have any ipv6...

I am still having my issues with facebook...  Haven't seen issues with the other websites mentioned on here (yet).  I am still awaiting my response from UVerse care support, and will try whatever they suggest.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Changing the configuration to IPv4 from IPV6 has done the trick for me.

My google related stuff and FB are loading very quickly .  I waited 24 hours before posting in case it was a coincidence but seems to be fine.

No idea when we switch to IPV6 but i guess that can wait!

Scholar

• 

286 Messages

9 years ago

I waited about 4 days to post this message to make sure every thing was working properly. I PM'd U-verse care just after i posted my message, i heard back from them on the 5th asking for a little more info and my problem would be escalated to the right people on the 7th i received calls from two people involved with this problem, the 2nd one being from tech support we chatted for a few minutes about the problem she then told me would send a tech out to see about the problem, she said he would be therein a couple of hours,about 1.5 hours later i had a tech at the door he proceded to check every thing out he told me my RG was on the way out , he replaced the RG and the Modem out side and did a line check and set every thing up for us when he left every thing was working fine and it still is, the next day i received a call from both the people that had called me the day before wanting to make sure everything was working ok. I think U-verse support worked out fine and a big thankyou to all involved.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

For now, facebook seems to be ok--I changed the IPv4 DNS server on my computer (can't change it on the router) to Google's Public DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 .  Strangely enough, I also tried that when this problem started but it didn't work then. 

However, I tried it the second time in communication with AT&T's tech support, and they mentioned they fixed some settings; while that in itself didn't solve the problem, when I changed to Google's DNS the second time around, facebook seemed to be ok.  It's possible that the DNS change in combination with AT&T's fixes solved the problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.