Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse wireless TV vs wired - does one slow my internet more than the other

Contributor

Uverse wireless TV vs wired - does one slow my internet more than the other

I have 18 Mbps speed and routinely get slower than this when browsing (ie on speedtest). I also have HD TV. I have one box that is wired and two that are wireless. Both of the wireless TVs are in rooms where there is actually coax that has been run for past connections.

My question is whether or not returning to coax would save bandwidth on my wifi (ie speed up my browsing) or no benefit and just leave them as wireless.

At present it looks like the only wire entering my house from the AT&T box is an ethernet connection.

Message 1 of 2
Employee

Re: Uverse wireless TV vs wired - does one slow my internet more than the other

You have a total bandwidth assigned to your account, generally by distance from VRAD.

Common single pair IPTV profiles are 25M with best internet speed being 18 Max Plus or 32M profile with Max Turbo 24 as best internet speed available.

Regardless of how the receivers are connected (coax, Ethernet, wireless) it is your usage that determines consumption. Each SD stream is about 2M while each HD stream in use is 6M.

With no TV in use your HARDWIRED speed should be 100-120% of prescribed. Thus Max Plus could get 22-23 hardwired even on a 25M long loop profile (will use for example).

Turn on HD channel (watch or record) 25-6=19 should still be able to pull close to 18 hardwired.

Turn on (2) HD 25-6-6=13 will likely see 11-13 on hardwired speedtests .

Turn on (3) HD 25-6-6-6=7 expect 5-7 on speed tests.

The 25M only has (3)HD/1SD for TV streams, if all in use 25-6-6-6-2=5. Expect less than 5.

On a 32M profile numbers work the same just takes (2)HD before noticed reduction in internet speed. 

This is referred to as shared bandwidth, both services pull from the same pool with priority given to TV service. 

Edit: this is covered in the Uverse Internet Terms of service agreement....in part....

Because service performance varies on an end-to-end basis, AT&T's service capability speeds are limited to, and measured between, your location and a point on AT&T's network, which constitutes only one segment of the end to end transmission path connecting the end user to Internet websites or content providers. End-to-end performance of your Service depends on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to): the number of subscribers simultaneously using the network; customer location; destination and traffic on the Internet; Wi-Fi connectivity; interference with high frequency spectrum on your telephone line; wiring inside your premises, office or apartment; the capacity or performance of your devices or modem; the server with which you are communicating; internal network management factors (including Overhead, which refers to the various control and signaling data required to achieve the reliable transmission of Internet access data); and the networks you and others are using when communicating. In addition, your use of other AT&T services (such as U-verse video, voice, Unified Messaging and other services) that share the capacity of your broadband connection with the Service may impact the amount of capacity available for your use of the Service at that particular time and thus affect the performance of the Service. Consequently, AT&T does not guarantee the performance of your service on an end-to-end basis. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support