Need help with your equipment?
jackt123's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 8:16 PM

Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.Smiley Mad

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I found this hardware solution on the internet: {commercial link removed}

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am not that internet savy, but I realize that the uverse router is not allowing me to setup parental controls.

I would like to find out the easiest way to do it.

Do you think AT&T will give me a different router for uverse?

Or should I buy one from frys electronics and connect it to the current uverse router?

I am afraid of messing up the whole thing and not having internet access at all.

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@xeeebra wrote:

I am not that internet savy, but I realize that the uverse router is not allowing me to setup parental controls.

I would like to find out the easiest way to do it.

Do you think AT&T will give me a different router for uverse?

Or should I buy one from frys electronics and connect it to the current uverse router?

I am afraid of messing up the whole thing and not having internet access at all.

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

The U-verse RG firmware does not have parental controls built in to it.  If you wish to have parental controls on your Internet access, then you'll need to either (1) install software on each PC, or (2) acquire your own router that has the parental controls you seek and install it behind the RG using the instructions from post 2 in this thread.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm cancelling my uverse.  Parental controls are not just for teens who may have a moment of weakness, but for small kids who can inadvertently get on stuff you don't want them to.  This is insane.  Leaving the internet open is like leaving the gun cabinet open ( I don't have a gun cabinet).  By the time you find out it didn't work, it's invaded you home.  Insane.  Cancel. There are other providers, and you'll be happier in the long run.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T actually provides Internet Parental Security software, but it only runs on PCs.  Installing your own router is an easy thing to do and gives you whatever control you're willing to purchase in a router.

Cancel your U-verse if you want, but before you sign up for your next provider, I'd suggest you ask them about their Parental Controls for their Internet service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Ridiculous Uverse does not have parental controls.  I specifically asked AT&T this question before I switched to uverse for internet and was told yes they do have parental controls.  Then I discover after service install that the AT&T parental control software is not even available anymore to download.  Extremely disappointed AT&T!!!!  Guess I will try to figure out the router behind router set up.  This sucks. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@beachgirl88  I don't know if this link works but have you tried to download the software from here?

AT&T Parental controls

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Yes I did try that and it would not let me download so I called AT&T and was told the software is no longer available. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have the linksys router and it worked fine for parental controls however my tech savvy son decided to login to the ATT router website and directly connect his phone to the att router and bypass the linksys router. Now i am trying to block his mac address of his phone on my att router so he has to go thru the linksys router.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.