Need help with your equipment?
jackt123's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 8:16 PM

Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.Smiley Mad

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The custom firmware that AT&T uses on the 2Wire gateways only contains a subset of the features that a normal 2Wire router has. The parental control options are not available.

To do parental controls, set up router-behind-router using a router that supports parental controls. Set it up using the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Well, parental controls on routers and other Internet devices can always be bypassed or worked-around if someone has physical access to the hardware.  To fully enforce the parental controls, you will have to place the 2Wire and your Cisco router in a physically locked closet, access area, or cabinet/enclosure.

I do not feel very comfortable giving out parental advice, but given that your son has willfully circimvented the access controls on three separate occasions, it is perhaps time to enforce the provisions via methods that are directed at your son and not at the routers.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If he is tech-savvy enough to get around the provisions through alternate methods, then the only possible solution is what I outlined above. You need to enforce physical security of the 2Wire and the Cisco router.

Basically what you can do is one of a few things:

1. If the 2Wire router and Cisco router are both in a room that your son doesn't need access to, then simply have a locksmith come put a good lock on the door to that room. You could also do the same thing if the routers are in a closet. Once they're physically secure, change passwords on both routers to something that only you know, and disable wireless on the 2Wire. Now all Internet traffic has to flow through the Cisco, which is subject to your parental controls.

2. If the routers aren't in a location like this, you may want to call AT&T and/or an IT company to come relocate the routers. They will charge you, of course. Relocate them to a closet or room where your son doesn't need to go, then have a locksmith install a lock on the door as in #1 above.

3. It would take some home craftsmanship, but you could build a security box out of wood. Some 2x4"s and 3/4" plywood could make a very sturdy box. Put a door on it with hinges, and drill a hole in it for wires. Put the 2Wire and Cisco routers inside, and then close the door and lock it. The only wires coming in are the VDSL wire and the two power adapters, the only wire going out is the coax for the DVR/STB units (if you have TV service) and/or the telephone wire for phones (if you have VOIP service).

4. You can get a Sentry Fire safe and do the same thing. The Sentry Fire safes are only a sheet metal box that has 2" of fiberglass insulation inside and then a plastic box inside that. It can be drilled through to make a hole for the wires. Just make sure to get one big enough to hold both the 2Wire and the Cisco.

5. This may work for you, maybe not.  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls#none  These are the AT&T parental control features that support enforcing the provisions at the provider level rather than in your home.  The disadvantage is that the software must be installed on each computer you own and works only for those computers.  It won't help with wireless smartphones or borrowed/other computers/laptops.

Some notes on the two box solutions:

A. Heat. The 2Wire unit puts out a fair amount of heat. You might have to see about a fan to ventilate the box to prevent it from overheating. This isn't so bad to do if you build your own box, but might not work well with the Sentry Fire safe.

B. Wireless signal strength. Any box may weaken the wireless signal. If this happens, purchase a wireless access point and put it outside the box, and uplink it to the Cisco so that it's subject to parental controls. Turn the wireless of the Cisco router off if you use this method.

This is all I can think of that enforces your parental controls with U-Verse. A final possibility is:

6. Look for another Internet provider where the parental controls can be enforced at the provider's end. There are some local smaller cable and DSL companies that provide this service, but it's totally dependent on what's available in your area.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

I followed your link to the page and it said this: 

Note:

The link will not appear on your screen if you have not subscribed to

the service.

Now with that said I wonder how you subscribe to the service?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Hum,  that's wierd.  I just clicked on the link again and it worked. Sorry

Anyway I found the manual by googling this phrase: 2wire i38hg manual

The link is currently at the top of the search.

Below is a copy and paste from my search.

[PDF] 

iNID User Guide

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat -  Quick View
2Wire, Inc. reserves the right to make any modification to this manual or the information contained herein at any time ... Connecting Your Computer to the i38HG .

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe7777, thanks for the info.  If you are able to look at that manual from the link I posted above, it shows that at sometime in the past ATT provided this gateway with firmware that had the access controls that I and others am looking for. 

Within the next couple of days I will try your info on the link you provided to bridge my routers.  I am not a network expert but know enough to fumble through some settings.  I will post the results.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

For all of those wondering - the link that SomeJoe7777 posted above works great for adding a router that has IP Filters (Parental Controls to limit access) to a 2Wire i38HG i3812V system. 

Thanks SomeJoe7777!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I called yesterday to try & do this same thing - funny, the person said I was the only one to want this in 2+ years.  I figured we couldn't be alone in this request. 

So with the router behind the router - wouldn't it be simpler to just get a new router?  Forgive me - I'm not very tech savy with this kind of thing Smiley Indifferent

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You cannot replace the router that AT&T has provided -- they require it for their service. The only option is to use your own router behind the AT&T router if you want to use a router that has parental controls.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Once you install the router behind the Gateway (using the DMZ) you can also then use DNS filtering such as OpenDNS.

Good luck!

Buddy

{link removed per guidelines}

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.