Need help with your equipment?
jackt123's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 8:16 PM

Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.Smiley Mad

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

This is still not working for me.  Could you elaborate on how you got this to work?

Is there a firmware or software update that I need?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

giftedorganist,  Did you ever get it working?  Were you trying to hook separate router to the 2Wire system?

I had problems also with setting up router behind router, but I misread the instructions.  See my message #218 at this link:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/td-p/2707013/page/8

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Just a quick update on Parental Controls.

I recently update to a new Router behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.  I installed a Linksys E4200.  If you are interest in router Parental Controls, this one works!  I had also bought a Netgear N750 but returned it because the Parental Controls were horrible.  Then I purchased the Linksys E4200.  The parental controls were easy to set.  Especially if you want to set time limits on the internet for PC's, iPhone's, iTouch, iPad's and NintendoDSi.  Just choice the device and set the time when the device can access the internet.  You can also block URL's per device.

I was able to set it up easily behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@jackt123 wrote:

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

Probably because they don't want to support it, train their staff on how it works, etc.

Plus, if they did, then what would happen would be that someone's child will see something on the Internet that the parents didn't want them to see (because the blocking technology isn't 100%), and the parents will blame AT&T and cause problems.

Glad you found a solution that works for you, though.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi Joe,

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeZ wrote:

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

It is a given that if someone has physical access to equipment, they can usually bypass any security controls that are present.  If they have physical access to your router, they can simply reset it with the reset button on the back and then have free access to anything.

If your kids are this advanced, the only solution is to physically secure the routers and network hardware in a locked cabinet, closet, etc.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

I was recently told by an AT&T service tech that AT&T doesn't support configurations involving third party routers, which is what I had when he arrived for a service call.  I had set up a linksys router/WAP to provide additional wireless device capacity in my home.  The tech did, though, indicate that a simple router or hub was OK, so I may still be able to implement your suggestion if I turn off the WAP features of the linksys.

Like the original poster, I'm frustrated that AT&T doesn't provide native parental control support at the gateway.  End user-based solutions are a pain to manage, and in some cases easy to circumvent, even in a home network! Smiley Mad

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Has anyone solved the parental control issue?

I have installed a Cisco router behind 2wire router which allow me to give access based on time of day. But my smart 16 year old son found a way around it. All he had to do was to reset the 2wire router passwd ( default passwd is edged on the box) and get himself access to 2wire.

My response was to turn off the wifi on 2wire router. He figured it out as well. I changed the IP address on 2wire router but he found the new IP address by connecting to the router by wire and did a  ipconfig on his laptop.

I called Uverse support and asked them to send me a modem only box. I told them I do not want a router but they said they do not have such a box.

I have ran out of solutions. I am left with taking the 2Wire router every night before I go to bed or changing the provider. I do not like any of these solutions.

any idea?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My son was punished for his actions but punishment is only a short term solution. I cannot disconnect his Internet access. I need to limit it and I still do not have a good solution.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. I have the same issue, went through the same steps with the same result - after 45 minutes and being passed from one agent to the next; Tech Support was clueless. The finally passed me to AT&T Connect who offered to help me after I pay a one time charge of $49, or sign up for a monthly $15 for ongoing support. Afterwhich I thanked the Rep who I knew would be clueless as well after a few minutes of discussing my issue with her, and hung up. So, as you, I now must reach out the "community" (i.e. AT&T Customers, who are left fending for themselves since. BTW, you have to have the patienc e of a saint to weed through all of AT&Ts FAQ "bloatwear" on the subject. I tried, and ended up with nothing to show for my efforts. A total waste of time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.