Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Teacher

Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.Smiley Mad

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

Message 1 of 29 (32,678 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

I followed your link to the page and it said this: 

Note:

The link will not appear on your screen if you have not subscribed to

the service.

Now with that said I wonder how you subscribe to the service?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29 (32,618 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author jackt123
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

The custom firmware that AT&T uses on the 2Wire gateways only contains a subset of the features that a normal 2Wire router has. The parental control options are not available.

To do parental controls, set up router-behind-router using a router that supports parental controls. Set it up using the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
Message 3 of 29 (32,613 Views)
Teacher

Hum,  that's wierd.  I just clicked on the link again and it worked. Sorry

Anyway I found the manual by googling this phrase: 2wire i38hg manual

The link is currently at the top of the search.

Below is a copy and paste from my search.

[PDF] 

iNID User Guide

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
2Wire, Inc. reserves the right to make any modification to this manual or the information contained herein at any time ... Connecting Your Computer to the i38HG .
Message 4 of 29 (32,608 Views)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777, thanks for the info.  If you are able to look at that manual from the link I posted above, it shows that at sometime in the past ATT provided this gateway with firmware that had the access controls that I and others am looking for. 

Within the next couple of days I will try your info on the link you provided to bridge my routers.  I am not a network expert but know enough to fumble through some settings.  I will post the results.

Message 5 of 29 (32,608 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

For all of those wondering - the link that SomeJoe7777 posted above works great for adding a router that has IP Filters (Parental Controls to limit access) to a 2Wire i38HG i3812V system. 

Thanks SomeJoe7777!

Message 6 of 29 (32,469 Views)
Contributor

I called yesterday to try & do this same thing - funny, the person said I was the only one to want this in 2+ years.  I figured we couldn't be alone in this request. 

So with the router behind the router - wouldn't it be simpler to just get a new router?  Forgive me - I'm not very tech savy with this kind of thing Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 29 (32,191 Views)
Expert

You cannot replace the router that AT&T has provided -- they require it for their service. The only option is to use your own router behind the AT&T router if you want to use a router that has parental controls.
Message 8 of 29 (32,191 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you install the router behind the Gateway (using the DMZ) you can also then use DNS filtering such as OpenDNS.

Good luck!

Buddy

{link removed per guidelines}

Message 9 of 29 (32,075 Views)
Contributor

This is still not working for me.  Could you elaborate on how you got this to work?

Is there a firmware or software update that I need?

Message 10 of 29 (32,032 Views)
Teacher

giftedorganist,  Did you ever get it working?  Were you trying to hook separate router to the 2Wire system?

I had problems also with setting up router behind router, but I misread the instructions.  See my message #218 at this link:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

Message 11 of 29 (31,799 Views)
Teacher

Just a quick update on Parental Controls.

I recently update to a new Router behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.  I installed a Linksys E4200.  If you are interest in router Parental Controls, this one works!  I had also bought a Netgear N750 but returned it because the Parental Controls were horrible.  Then I purchased the Linksys E4200.  The parental controls were easy to set.  Especially if you want to set time limits on the internet for PC's, iPhone's, iTouch, iPad's and NintendoDSi.  Just choice the device and set the time when the device can access the internet.  You can also block URL's per device.

I was able to set it up easily behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

Message 12 of 29 (31,798 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

jackt123 wrote:

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

Probably because they don't want to support it, train their staff on how it works, etc.

Plus, if they did, then what would happen would be that someone's child will see something on the Internet that the parents didn't want them to see (because the blocking technology isn't 100%), and the parents will blame AT&T and cause problems.

Glad you found a solution that works for you, though.

Message 13 of 29 (31,771 Views)
Contributor

Hi Joe,

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Message 14 of 29 (31,596 Views)
Expert

SomeZ wrote:

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

It is a given that if someone has physical access to equipment, they can usually bypass any security controls that are present.  If they have physical access to your router, they can simply reset it with the reset button on the back and then have free access to anything.

If your kids are this advanced, the only solution is to physically secure the routers and network hardware in a locked cabinet, closet, etc.

Message 15 of 29 (31,590 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.