Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse internet connection doesn't work

Mentor

Uverse internet connection doesn't work

When I left for work in the morning, my AT&T DSL connection was working. When I came home after a Uverse install, it no longer worked. The installer told my wife he thought my Citrix account might be the problem, but my office IT guys say no way. The AT&T phone-support guy gave up after running through some command prompts and said my computer was the problem. My wife's computer, a Mac laptop, does work, both wirelessly and via ethernet. My computer is an ethernet connection only. I have tried various things, disabling the firewall, changing the DNS from auto to 8.8.8.8, etc., run all the diagnostics. No dice. This is a Windows Vista machine with SP2.

Message 1 of 24
Expert

Re: Uverse internet connection doesn't work

Looks like you did everything but reboot the computer, have you?  Might be worth a try. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 2 of 24
Mentor

Yep. I've been working on the problem for a couple of days and always shut down the computer after each new attempt.

Message 3 of 24
Expert

Can you get here:  http://192.168.1.254/

If not, could be bad ethernet cable or your network card in the computer is bad. :smileyconfused:

Chris

Message 4 of 24
Mentor

I won't be at the affected computer for several hours, but I have not been able to ping any internet sites (if that's the same thing). Hard to believe the ethernet cable and/or network card suddenly went bad in the course of a few hours. Also, the cable blinks at the computer end just like it would if it was working, and the modem blinks just like it would if it was working. Only problem is, it ain't working....

Message 5 of 24
Mentor

Also, the LAN shows as working correctly.

Message 6 of 24
Mentor

I'm home and I tried that 192.168 thing. No dice. My cable is fine and my card is fine. I even switched ends on the cable, thinking only voodoo can save me now.

Message 7 of 24
Community Support

Hi jwallphoto,

If you can't access your modem, then there is definitely a connection issue between the modem and computer. Just to check the settings, can you post your IP address and default gateway?

To get that information, just go to you start bar and in the search options, type in CMD. Press Enter and your command prompt should load. Type in ipconfig and press Enter.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 24
Mentor

Thanks. I'll check that in a second.

Does this mean anything useful? I ran a diagnostic on my network connection link speed, and the result was "Could not reliably detect speed and duplex settings."

IPv4 Address is 192.168.2.21

Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1

Message 9 of 24
Community Support

That does, the IPv4 Address and default gateway are not are standard ones we use on our modem, so either someone changed it, it's hardcoded into your computer, or you are going through another device besides our modem.

When you type in 192.168.2.1 into your browser, does it take you anywhere?

Also, you may want to check your TCP/IP settings to see if the IP Address is Statically configured.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 24
Community Support

To check the TCP/IP settings,

Click Start

Click Control Panel

Click Network and Internet -> Networking and Sharing Center

Right click your active local area connection and go to Properties.

Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Change it to obtain IP address automatically.

Message 11 of 24
Mentor

On the 192.168.2.1 issue, it "took too long to respond."

Message 12 of 24
Mentor

That is already how it's set. Same for DNS server.

Message 13 of 24
Highlighted
Community Support

It's probably a hard program static route in that case that is pointing to nothing. I would change it back to obtaining automatically.

Message 14 of 24
Community Support

That is odd. That means someone changed the settings on our router. Do you have another computer connected to it turned on right now? Can you check the ip settings on that other computer to see if it's in the same network block?

Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support