Need help with your equipment?
jwallphoto's profile

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2013 4:25 PM

Uverse internet connection doesn't work

When I left for work in the morning, my AT&T DSL connection was working. When I came home after a Uverse install, it no longer worked. The installer told my wife he thought my Citrix account might be the problem, but my office IT guys say no way. The AT&T phone-support guy gave up after running through some command prompts and said my computer was the problem. My wife's computer, a Mac laptop, does work, both wirelessly and via ethernet. My computer is an ethernet connection only. I have tried various things, disabling the firewall, changing the DNS from auto to 8.8.8.8, etc., run all the diagnostics. No dice. This is a Windows Vista machine with SP2.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

To check the TCP/IP settings,

Click Start

Click Control Panel

Click Network and Internet -> Networking and Sharing Center

Right click your active local area connection and go to Properties.

Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Change it to obtain IP address automatically.

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

On the 192.168.2.1 issue, it "took too long to respond."

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

That is already how it's set. Same for DNS server.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

It's probably a hard program static route in that case that is pointing to nothing. I would change it back to obtaining automatically.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That is odd. That means someone changed the settings on our router. Do you have another computer connected to it turned on right now? Can you check the ip settings on that other computer to see if it's in the same network block?

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I'm on my wife's Mac and don't know my way around it. (I'm sure she would have no idea how to help me.)

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I underrated my wife! Her IP address said 192.168.1.64

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

On a Mac, you should be able to click on that wireless icon at the top and go to open network preferences.

From there, there will be a list of all the possible ways to connect a device to the Mac.

Choose the way she is connected to highlight it and click the advanced button at the bottom right.

Click on the TCP/IP tab and it should have your information.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That is great to hear, but unfortunately, it means that there is something wrong with your computer settings because you should be on the same block as she is on.

She is on 192.168.1.x but you are on 192.168.2.x.

You can try to manually correct this yourself by statically programming a route in your TCP/IP stack and just use a different IP address but the same subnet mask and default gateway, but that probably won't fix it because if it is pulling the wrong IP, there is probably a bigger underlying problem.

But you can always try

IP: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (I'm assuming it's this but confirm it with your wife's computer)

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (I'm assuming it's this but confirm it with your wife's computer)

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I tried 192.168.1.200 but got a message that I didn't have a valid IP address. When I used my wife's IP address, I was told another computer is already using it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.