Need help with your equipment?
jwallphoto's profile

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2013 4:25 PM

Uverse internet connection doesn't work

When I left for work in the morning, my AT&T DSL connection was working. When I came home after a Uverse install, it no longer worked. The installer told my wife he thought my Citrix account might be the problem, but my office IT guys say no way. The AT&T phone-support guy gave up after running through some command prompts and said my computer was the problem. My wife's computer, a Mac laptop, does work, both wirelessly and via ethernet. My computer is an ethernet connection only. I have tried various things, disabling the firewall, changing the DNS from auto to 8.8.8.8, etc., run all the diagnostics. No dice. This is a Windows Vista machine with SP2.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Are you using the correct subnet mask and default gateway?

But if that doesn't work, you can use any number 1-253 as long as no other device is using it. I just chose 200 because I didn't think anyone would be using it. Maybe you can try a lower number like 192.168.1.60.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Looks like you did everything but reboot the computer, have you?  Might be worth a try. Smiley Wink

Chris

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Yep. I've been working on the problem for a couple of days and always shut down the computer after each new attempt.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Can you get here:  http://192.168.1.254/

If not, could be bad ethernet cable or your network card in the computer is bad. :smileyconfused:

Chris

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I won't be at the affected computer for several hours, but I have not been able to ping any internet sites (if that's the same thing). Hard to believe the ethernet cable and/or network card suddenly went bad in the course of a few hours. Also, the cable blinks at the computer end just like it would if it was working, and the modem blinks just like it would if it was working. Only problem is, it ain't working....

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Also, the LAN shows as working correctly.

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I'm home and I tried that 192.168 thing. No dice. My cable is fine and my card is fine. I even switched ends on the cable, thinking only voodoo can save me now.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi jwallphoto,

If you can't access your modem, then there is definitely a connection issue between the modem and computer. Just to check the settings, can you post your IP address and default gateway?

To get that information, just go to you start bar and in the search options, type in CMD. Press Enter and your command prompt should load. Type in ipconfig and press Enter.

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. I'll check that in a second.

Does this mean anything useful? I ran a diagnostic on my network connection link speed, and the result was "Could not reliably detect speed and duplex settings."

IPv4 Address is 192.168.2.21

Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That does, the IPv4 Address and default gateway are not are standard ones we use on our modem, so either someone changed it, it's hardcoded into your computer, or you are going through another device besides our modem.

When you type in 192.168.2.1 into your browser, does it take you anywhere?

Also, you may want to check your TCP/IP settings to see if the IP Address is Statically configured.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.