For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
SlawDawg77's profile

Former Employee

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 6th, 2015 4:53 PM

Uverse TV and internet at same time as Comcast?

I'm going to be moving soon.  We will be bringing our Uverse internet and TV with us to the new house.  But, my wife wants to switch to working from home full-time and her company requires her to use Comcast for that.  So, my question is can I have Uverse internet through the phone and Comcast internet through cable at the same time?  If so, would I need to wire the house with ethernet cable to get the Uverse signal to the DVR TV downstairs from the Uverse center in the upstairs office since the DVR has to be hard wired?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@SlawDawg77 - Yes, you can have both. Just do not connect the two.

U-verse connection should be Cat5 nid to RG & RG to DVR. Use cat5 for as much as possible.

You can run or have att run. Mythoughts can let you know pricing for att.

Personally, I like the RG close to the DVR. But, you also need to consider the wi-fi coverage when placing the RG.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

You could add one or more Wireless Access Points or Wireless Range Extenders, depending on your requirements.

Access Points hook back to the Gateway via Ethernet and provide Wi-Fi in addition to, or in place of, the Gateway's Wi-Fi.  You can connect an inexpensive Wireless Router to be used as an Access Point.

Extenders communicate back to the Gateway via Wi-Fi.  Which means they have to be placed close enough to the Gateway to see its signal, but also be close enough to the area that needs signal.  Due to the doubled Wi-Fi links, it introduces additional latency.  It also increases Wi-Fi congestion.

When possible, I always recommend Access Points.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, you can have both.  You have to get the installers to leave each other's stuff alone, and AT&T's Terms and Conditions says they can modify your home's wiring, so you may have to stay on top of  them.

Yes, I'd recommend you run Cat5e or better from where your Residential Gateway will be to where your DVR is.  But does your DVR really have to be in the Living Room?

Former Employee

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

We will have 2 TV's and 2 offices, so figuring out the routing of all the wiring is the tricky part plus placement of the RG in a split level house.  So, layout is one TV and one office upstairs.  Wife's office will be up there and need cable connection long-term for Comcast.  Short-term, will need Uverse internet and it can't be wireless as her company prevents her laptop from connecting wirelessly for privacy reasons (healthcare employee).  On mid-level of house on crawl space will be the living room/study where I'll have an office.  Ideally would like ethernet connection there as opposed to wireless.  Downstairs under bedrooms will be family room with primary TV and DVR.  Room on slab with no current cable outlets, so will need to add one through wall from outside.

So far, from what everyone has said, I'm thinking my first thought of hiring electrician to add additional wiring ahead of Uverse install is a good idea.  Had that done to put in dual phone/cble jack in our current house's sunroom and works great.  Electrician had experience wiring for Uverse type setups.  Just with this house and all the wires, probably pay a lot in labor!

Also, aren't there wi-fi boosters that can be added to the system as well?  Could put one in crawl space under living room to make sure that end of house covered.  Or have a cable jack put out there as backup for Uverse in the study.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

9 years ago

I have to quesiton why her work requires her to use Comcast. Is there some specific reason why? 

That said if she is required ot have it, I would have her work pay for it (or at elast claim it on your taxes!)

Former Employee

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It's their vendor for telecommuters.  It is faster than Uverse, so I can see that.  And her company would pay for it.  No way I would pay for 2 seperate services!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@SlawDawg77 wrote:

...  It is faster than Uverse, so I can see that.  ...

The advertised maximum bandwidth is greater.  Whether or not Xfinity actually delivers a consistantly wider bandwidth product is up for debate.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.