Need help with your equipment?
mattchip's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Friday, November 29th, 2013 3:58 PM

Uverse Ipad app won't play in home

I'm attempting to install the Ipad app on son's Ipad. It installs just fine and runs,While attempting to play anything through the RG wireless, I get "Your internet connection is currently using an HTTP proxy which is incompatible with playing DRM protected content (Q1521)" Search doesn't bring up much that I can see applying here.

Matt

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Doing this from memory.  On the I Pad setting menu, tap on WiFi and it brings up a list of available networks. Tap the one you're your connected to, it should bring up a setting column. Look for HTTP Proxy about 3 or 4 boxes down.and the appropriate setting.

Matt

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mattchip - The wi-fi network needs to be the one generated by the U-verse RG. Perhaps you are joining a different network that has HTTP proxy & you are hitting that speed bump before it realizes you are not on the right network.

Let me add that the app is very sensitive to it's environment for copyright and contractual agreements.

The iphone app, when loaded on an ipad, does not allow viewing, even though that activity is now contractually permitted (i.e. what you are setting up with the ipad app).

If you connect the ipad to a TV via HDMI or  wireless mirroring software viewing is blocked because it is an additional screen. I can see it blocking if it is a recording device, but not for a screen. It's like not allowing an STB to be viewed on a TV.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks.  He is using the RG home network to connect. As I've reinstalled it, I looked a little deeper. I think it's only allowed to be used to receive if it's connected to a cell network. I don't think you can use it as an additional receiver on a home system.  Well, it was a thought, anyway.

Matt

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mattchip - I believe all ipads have web access via wifi. In fact, I believe only the admin functions work via cell. Wifi is required for any viewing.

Make sure it is connected wifi under settings. You are correct that you cannot use it directly as an STB for complete access to U-verse TV. You can only view selected live & on-demand shows. You can manage your DVR , except for viewing recorded shows.

Some people did initially report not recognizing the home network, which limited the shows available. I am not sure if there ever was a resolution or if it just went away. Since you were getting an odd error I thought you were connected to a non-standard network. Perhaps you should try it at an att hot spot.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Yes it is using the wi-fi.  I did get it to work with the STB okay. So I guess the admin tools are working. Didn't try On demand or setting recording, just trying to watch current tv on the ipad.  It may very well be working as far as it can, I guess.

Matt

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mattchip - It is not working as well as it can if you are getting that error message. When I press the live button - second one in from the left, on the bottom - the top of the screen is playing a show & the bottom is a guide to select from.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Found it. After trying the On Demand, I got a different error message. Apparently a problem with the Ipad settings.  The HTTP proxy in the Ipad settings has to be off.  It was set to auto.  Appears to be working fine now.  Don't know if that's good or bad.

Matt

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mattchip - Thanks for posting. It may help someone else. But, I did look for theoption & do not find it. Can you say where to find it, please.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mattchip - Thanks, found it at the bottom of the list you described. Mine is set to off. Perhaps you had changed yours when you were trying to do something else with the ipad.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much. This just saved me a ton of frustration. I have been bothered each time I tried to use this function. Each time i got that error I just stopped using the ipad. I was about to buy a TV for the office. i can now use my ipad for watching news updates!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.