For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
lad0610's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, December 24th, 2018 2:48 AM

Using router with pace 5268ac modem.

I’m installing security camera’s that the dvr needs to be connected to a router by Ethernet cable, so I can view them from my phone or tablet. my question is, can an added wireless router get on my WiFi network from the pace5268ac modem and then I plug the dvr by Ethernet into the wireless router? Trying to get around having to run a Ethernet cable to the other room where the modem is. Sorry I don’t understand how these things work!

thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

I don’t believe you can set up a second router connected wirelessly to your main router. That second router would need to have an Ethernet connection to its main input. Possible options are a WiFi extender that also has an Ethernet port or a pair of powerline converters. I have a Directv DVR connected to my router using powerline converters and it works great.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

@lad0610

Hello, 

I've had some success using devices like an Apple Airport Express or a TP-Link wifi extender to basically catch a wireless signal and then output an Ethernet connection that can be consumed by a device.  I've never actually used it to feed another router but in principle it seems that it should work.  Also thinking that you might be able to get away with using 2.4GHz radio for your application which would allow for more range of separation between the RG and the wifi receiver.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your replies!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.