Need help with your equipment?
Abcduv's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 14th, 2015 1:45 PM

Unable to access certain sites on wifi

Hello

I have a strange problem and could use some help: if I try to access the site oglobo.globo.com - a Brazilian news site - through my uverse wifi using an ipad or winows 8 laptop I have no problem.

But if I try accessibg it via an iphone 4s, iphone 5, or an Android cell phone it does not load the page.

And here's the wrinkle: if I disable the wifi on the cell phones I have no problem. So the problem is wifi-only, and only on cell phones.

One more point: at work we so use uverse and I have the same problem.

Can anybody help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi,

It does appear to be failing somewhere down the line. I had no issues accessing it, but it may just be working for me now, and it may not work in the next hour. Other than that, you can always do a whois search on the domain to see if there is any contact information for further support.

-David T

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Abcduv,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with accessing the site. It sounds like there may be a block on the mobile version of the site. To test it, if your smart phone is capable of browsing in desktop mode, try to enable that feature. Other than that, try to see if you are able to download a trace route program to see where it is getting blocked.

Let us know.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply.
The problem appears to be intermittent. I did some "tracert" on the website and it times out on the 9th hop. My understanding is that the first 5 hops are inside AT&T's computers.
I can now navigate to that website on my cell phone, but not on my desktop computer - even though they are both using the same AT&T router/connection. I suspect the problem is not AT&T's, but there may be some sort of authentication bug on the website's end - even though I'm not logging in, just browsing their front page.
I also downloaded the Trace HTTP app for my iphone which gives me a much more detailed picture of what's going on. When I had problems with the cell phone the hangup was deep inside some of the site's javacript codes.
I've tried contacting them, but this is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and I only managed to get through their front-line support and they say all's working well on their end. So I guess I'll just have to learn to live without this site until enough people complain that it gets noticed there.
Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I just wanted to add that the whois suggestion was perfect! It got me straight to the IT department of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.