Need help with your equipment?
hgschmie's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 2:58 PM

UVerse and IPv6 Tunneling with 3800 HGV-B

Hi,

I ran an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric (he.net) for a while with my U-verse account and a 3800 HGV-B. The latest software upgrade (6.9.1.42-plus.tm) seem to block IP protocol 41, and I no longer see traffic from he.net coming into the gateway (and no encapsulated IPv6 packets going out). 

Is there a way to turn off that block? Or get a software version that does not block protocol 41?

Thanks,

Henning

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Tried chat support again. They said they are aware of the issue but do not have an ETA on resolution. For those with FTTP, there is not an alternative currently from what I understand.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I consider this a violation of network neutrality laws. I've filed a formal complaint with the FCC. I recommend that everybody else affected by the issue do the same.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

So I received a call last week from "The offices of the President at AT&T" regarding my filed FCC compliant. They left a VM as I was out of town stating they were looking into it and someone would contact me within 3-5 business days to discuss.

I then received a call this morning from the same office and the individual explained that they had U-verse technicians investigating my problem as described and he would be back in touch with me within 3 days to discuss their findings. He then provided his direct number and name for contact.

My advice is to use the FCC compliant mechanism to obtain the required focus on this issue.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

I filed a complaint some time ago but have not been contacted by ATT I'm afraid. The fact that they contacted you, however, gives me hope for a solution.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I was also contacted by the same office with regards to my FCC complaint. AT&Ts "solution" was to turn on IPv6 on the 2Wire gateway. But even with that the gateway is still blocking my own tunnels (and thus violating FCC rules). I was using DMZPlus with my own router and naturally was hoping to use DHCP-PD (Prefix Delegation). In the end we know that with AT&T's 6RD setup there is a /60 prefix for each subscriber. But instead the gateway only hands out a single /64 via SLAAC. DHCP can be enabled in the gateway, but is clearly broken. You can even see in the gateway's logfiles a message "dhcpd6: configuration update - No such file or directory".
It's really pathetic how clueless AT&T appears to be and how incompetent they end up being. Just as a reminder: Free, the second largest ISP in France rolled out 6RD to its 40 mio. customers within 5 weeks in 2007.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Turns out that the Motorola NVG 589 does connect to an ONT (Fibre-to-the-premise). But in general AT&T won't give you such a gateway for a ONT deployment. They will only give it out for higher speed DSL deployments which need the second line. 

You might therefore be a bit persistent until they finally install it. And even then most technicians won't know that it's possible and might claim it's not possible. Just because they have never done it. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Certainly seems like ATT has a solution available but is just unwilling to allow for it. That's a shame. I'm not sure what else I can do apart from file an complaint with the FCC and spend hours in support chat/phone limbo.

Come on ATT, it's the Holidays!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Was contacted by AT&T today to schedule a replacement if the CPE gateway device.  I accepted but explained that it would not address the FCC compliant and I would not consider that compliant resolved.  Simply because they are still in violation of rule 09-191 section ii.

ii. No blocking. Fixed broadband providers may not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices; mobile broadband providers may not block lawful websites, or block applications that compete with their voice or video telephony services.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I've been waiting since July for this to be fixed.

I switched to Uverse from Comcast in August of 2012, and I'm pretty disappointed with the overall IPv6 rollout. Using 6rd as the migration strategy is kind of a joke, but I was willing to chuckle a little and deal with it as long as my tunnels kept working. Now we're in month 7 of this very basic functionality being broken, and I'm not entirely confident that we're going to see a fix any time soon.

I'm a software developer and I know you can't avoid bugs, but you either fix them or roll back. You don't let them languish for half a year, especially if it's as serious as filtering an entire protocol. This is amateur hour stuff here.

I filed my FCC complaint, and now it looks like it's time to see if Comcast has resolved their service delivery issues in my area and switch back.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I just received a bizarre call from AT&T regarding my FCC complaint.  Even though this doesn't really affect me any more because I've found a workaround, I just thought everyone would like to know what's really going on and why we haven't seen a fix after 8 months now.

They said they are blocking IPv6 tunnels intentionally because it exposed a "vulnerability in their network" that allows one to access other networks.  I said that sounds like the entire purpose of the Internet -- accessing other networks -- and she yelled back "THAT'S NOT TRUE!"  She clarified that by creating an IPv6 tunnel you are being allocated a static IPv6 address from a third party that you can use to get back into your network, bypassing AT&T and without paying AT&T extra for a static address.

So, I don't know if this is just some customer service person reading off of a script without really knowing what the words mean and getting it all wrong, or if AT&T just admitted to me that they're not filtering IPv6 tunnels by accident but because they haven't found a way to extract money from us for the privilege. Either way, pretty weird.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.