Need help with your equipment?
hgschmie's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 2:58 PM

UVerse and IPv6 Tunneling with 3800 HGV-B

Hi,

I ran an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric (he.net) for a while with my U-verse account and a 3800 HGV-B. The latest software upgrade (6.9.1.42-plus.tm) seem to block IP protocol 41, and I no longer see traffic from he.net coming into the gateway (and no encapsulated IPv6 packets going out). 

Is there a way to turn off that block? Or get a software version that does not block protocol 41?

Thanks,

Henning

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

When I upgraded to the 45 MBit tier, I got a Motorola modem which not only comes with native IPv6 enabled but the HE tunnel is working again (and their IPv6 peering is better than AT&T so you get better performance by using this instead of the native one).

So in the end, I now have a dual-homed network. 🙂 Joy.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I don't think it's a deliberate block.  6rd (which AT&T is using for their initial v6 deployments) and 6in4 are functionally identical on the wire.  The 380x-RG likely sees the HE tunnel traffic as 6rd traffic, grabs it, realizes it's not the traffic it expects it should get, and then drops it on the floor.

My 3800 updated itself this week, and now my tunnel isn't working... and I'm the admin in charge of HE's tunnel services.  Yeah, I'm thrilled.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

This feels like a complete racket.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with AT&T today trying to tell them they broke my tunnel with this stupid update.  During that time I was disconnected twice (both times being told I couldn't be reconnected with the origional tech, never mind the fact they didnt' use my callback number).  Not that it would have mattered, since no one there seems to have any idea what a tunnel was.  One person wanted me to update my bios at one point, while the other told me to disable the firewall on my workstation.  I finally got hold of the a supervisor who helpfully told me that If I upgraded my service the ipv6 that I had working would work again.  This is a major slap in the face...

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

I'm having a similar issue as well. On a 3800HGV-B with the 6.9.1.42-plus.tm firmware. On live chat with ATT now to evaluate my options for trying to disable 6rd (not expecting to get very far unfortunately). I did verify that they aren't providing static network assignments for IPv6 yet - no surprises there (hence why I was previously usiing he.net - quite happily, I might add).

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Apparently I got the upgrade today, was trying to figure out why my tunnel broke, then happened upon this thread.. Called CS about this, got transferred to level2, explained the issue and got hung up on.  Not exactly thrilled about this...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like I got them to agree to swap my gateway with a NVG589, which they said will be delivered tomorrow.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Please let us know how it goes, and what v6 you wind up with.  Especially if the tunnel works with this new gateway.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I actually just got a shipping notification, but it shows Item Shipped: 2Wire3801HGV, I sure hope that is not what they actually sent after being told they were sending a NVG589..

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Well, its very poor service when I specificlly tell them something, they call me back and tell me they are sending a 589, but send a 3801 anyway. Breaking ipv6 one day, hanging up on me the next day, and flat out lying to me is not really good customer service, If in this case I'll wait until whatever they sent shows up, and decide what to do then.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

By the way, my 3800HGV-B gateway has been upgraded to firmware 6.9.1.42 and I have lost IPv6 tunneling capability just like everyone else.

I can also confirm that protocol 41 is blocked even to my block of static IP addresses.

There is one more configuration option that I'm going to try (the new cascaded router option) and see if that works any differently, but I'm not hopeful.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.