Need help with your equipment?
hgschmie's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 2:58 PM

UVerse and IPv6 Tunneling with 3800 HGV-B

Hi,

I ran an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric (he.net) for a while with my U-verse account and a 3800 HGV-B. The latest software upgrade (6.9.1.42-plus.tm) seem to block IP protocol 41, and I no longer see traffic from he.net coming into the gateway (and no encapsulated IPv6 packets going out). 

Is there a way to turn off that block? Or get a software version that does not block protocol 41?

Thanks,

Henning

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

(answering my own post)

In case you are following this thread and wonder whether there is a solution: Upgraded to the 45 MBit tier today, got a new Motorola gateway. 

And it comes with native ipv6 enabled, configured, ready to use.

Which is the most perfect solution to my problem that I could think of. 🙂

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I also run an HE IPv6 tunnel and it's working fine, but my gateway still has 6.3.7.50-plus.tm.

If and when my gateway gets updated to 6.9.x, I'll post back.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

I just rebooted my router this morning. It came backup. Then it rebooted again with new firmware 6.9.x. Then he.net did indeed go dead. I had such a good luck with he.net too 😞  including reverse everything.

If someone comes up with a magic incantation to fix this I would be much appreciated. 

First I was thinking...what changed. 

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

More info: Something is blocking it.... maybe that future ipv6 support etc..thats turning on screw. Boy.. and I thought rebooting my RG was a great idea. 

Manufacturer Pace Plc
Model 3801HGV
Serial Number (censored)
Hardware Version 000778-004
Software Version 6.9.1.42-enh.tm
Key Code (censored)
First Use Date March 8, 2012
Current Date & Time Saturday, June 29, 2013
11:06:53 AM
Central Daylight Time
Time Since Last Boot 0 day 2:27:02
DSL Modem 8.4.C
System Password Custom

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, that looks exactly like my problem. So it seems that the "enhancement" in the new firmware is responsible for this. 😞 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

This is unfortunately, but there's likely little to be done about it... unless Hurricane Electric can offer a different protocol to use that isn't blocked.  If AT&T has blocked it in the RG firmware, they won't easily or quickly unblock it; even if they want to.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

11 years ago

What is/does Tunneling do... ?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Tunneling allows you to connect clients that use IPv6 to servers that run IPv6 when there is not a direct IPv6 connection.  It's sort of like VPN.  Some device/software sits "between" the IPv4 and IPv6 networks on both ends of an IPv4 connection and relays packets destined for IPv6 hosts on the other side through the IPv4 connection.

It's a stop-gap solution to allow you to get your feet wet with IPv6 while the full public IPv6 network is being built out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

While I realize that using a tunnel is a stopgap measure, at least it was fully functional, and gave me full control over IP range delegation and reverse resolving.

Now, not only is the tunnel non-functional, but IPv6 has not been enabled yet, either:

IPv6 disabled for LAN

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I understand AT&T wanting to block tunnels because I will likely do the same at the University I work for.  Kind of a difference there since I'm not an ISP and don't have to worry about FCC guidelines.  Let’s see, they are blocking our access to the content /services we desire.  They did not disclose these policies to their customers.  Two infractions right there without much thought.

Tech Support was less than zero help.  I only say negative help because the experience was draining.  She wanted me to check my pc to make sure it was enabled in Windows 8.  Then she was trying to explain to me how to enable it in my router.  Guess AT&T hasn't told their employees they locked us out of that.  Then after another few minutes I was informed that AT&T doesn't offer IPv6 in my area.  Why the heck are they blocking our tunnels then???

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.