Need help with your equipment?
dean.florida's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, February 15th, 2013 3:59 PM

UV Realtime Internet Usage Monitoring

I have a UV internet ONLY account, using the RG 3600. I monitor my usage using the UV Realtime 1.9.1.0 software via the Usage Tab. My question is: I've noticed that the "Total Internet Data UPLOADED" figure is very high, considering that we do very little uploading. For comparison, my current DOWNLOAD figure shows 75 GB over the past 30 days. My UPLOAD figure shows 55 GB over the same period. From all I've ever seen of my previous internet service usage rates, our upload figure should be less than 1/10th of the download figure. I've only had this account for less than two months, and this upload number has been consistently high the whole time. When I looked in the UV Realtime documentation, their illustration of the Usage Tab shows a very low upload number in comparison to the download, which is what I've always expected to be the case. Can anyone explain this aberrant upload number?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for your detailed reply.  Case closed.

I turn off my electronics systems each night for purposes of energy conservation, and plan to continue doing so.

I already know what my real usage is in general terms, and know that it's highly unlikely I'll ever exceed the 250 GB limit.  The UV Realtime Interfaces Tab gives me adequate information to know that.  I just wondered why the Usage Tab info didn't seem to be right based on the daily info I was seeing in the Interfaces Tab.  Now I know.

So is it true that the Interfaces Tab info simply resets each time I turn off the system, without the rollover problem?  Does it in fact give me a reasonably accurate picture of my current day's usage?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you can use the interfaces tab and just add the cumulative values together if you want.

However, you may consider that the RG does not use a large amount of power. The normal powered-on consumption of the 3600HGV is about 9 watts. Even assuming a relatively high power cost of 18 ¢/kW-hr, the total amount you're saving yourself by turning off the RG for 8 hours per day is:

18 ¢/kW-hr * 9 W * 8 hrs * 30 days * 1 kW/1000 W * $1.00/100¢ = $0.39.

So by turning off the RG each night for 8 hours, you only save 39 cents on your monthly electric bill. The 39 cents might be worth it to use the usage meter as intended.

By comparison, your home air conditioner will use 39 cents of power by being in operation for approximately 45 minutes. Using a smart thermostat to shave just 90 seconds a day from air conditioner operation will save the same amount of money.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Joe-- Food for thought.  Which brings a new question:  If I decide to leave the router on full-time, will I need to do a clean re-install of the UV Realtime and the RDTool in order to get accurate numbers going forward?

Is there a way to reset the data in the RDTool without starting over?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

No, you do not need to reinstall. If you want to start fresh with no usage data at all, do the following:

1. Exit UV Realtime.
2. Go to the directory C:\ProgramData\UV Realtime\ (Windows Vista and later) or go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UV Realtime\ (Windows XP)
3. Delete the file usageDB.rrd (this will remove all saved usage data)
4. Restart UV Realtime, it will create a new empty usage database.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Hey Joe--

Thanks for the help.  I kinda though there was some file that held all the data, and sure enough, my friendly neighborhood guru knew where to find it.  Tthat'll save me the agravation of a re-installation.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@dean.florida wrote:

Hey Joe--

Thanks for the help.  I kinda though there was some file that held all the data, and sure enough, my friendly neighborhood guru knew where to find it.  Tthat'll save me the agravation of a re-installation.

Not only is he the " friendly neighborhood guru," he wrote the program.  You'd think he would know where it puts its data.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

You can try to use the following software to monitor internet usage http://www.mysuperspy.com/internet-usage-monitoring.htm

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.