Need help with your equipment?
dean.florida's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, February 15th, 2013 3:59 PM

UV Realtime Internet Usage Monitoring

I have a UV internet ONLY account, using the RG 3600. I monitor my usage using the UV Realtime 1.9.1.0 software via the Usage Tab. My question is: I've noticed that the "Total Internet Data UPLOADED" figure is very high, considering that we do very little uploading. For comparison, my current DOWNLOAD figure shows 75 GB over the past 30 days. My UPLOAD figure shows 55 GB over the same period. From all I've ever seen of my previous internet service usage rates, our upload figure should be less than 1/10th of the download figure. I've only had this account for less than two months, and this upload number has been consistently high the whole time. When I looked in the UV Realtime documentation, their illustration of the Usage Tab shows a very low upload number in comparison to the download, which is what I've always expected to be the case. Can anyone explain this aberrant upload number?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Actually, it makes sense.

The program periodically polls the RG to get the counters.  The difference between two counters is used as the usage, i.e. Pass one sees a count of 3,000 bytes and pass two sees a count of 5,000 bytes, then 2,000 bytes where received.  These counters have a fixed limit (it may be 2^32-1, it may be some other number, don't know right off hand), but whatever number it is, it can be exceeded; this is called roll over.  UVrealtime is configured to handle rollover.  When it sees 2,000,000,000 on one pass, and 1,000 on the next pass, then it assumes the counter has rolled over and it will add the maximum value of the counter, minus 2,000,000,000, plus 1,000, to the usage.

When you turn off the RG, the counters go back to zero.  The RG doesn't know that you've turned off the RG and (mistakenly) assumes the counter has rolled over.  This could have the affect of adding sums to both down and up, but the effect would actually be worse for up, because the downstream counter would actually have been closer to the max.

Is there some reason you need to turn off the RG at night?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Do you have your network configured as prescribed in the document, especially noting that all of your HSI devices must be on a single leg (selected in the program) and no others?

I suspect you're having an issue of the DVR playback to STB showing up.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Do you have your network configured as prescribed in the document, especially noting that all of your HSI devices must be on a single leg (selected in the program) and no others?

I suspect you're having an issue of the DVR playback to STB showing up.

Go back and re-read what the OP posted.  Their problem is most likely they either did not pay for the premium module, or that they did not set the proper end date.  the thing about UVRealtime, is that it has to be running all of the time on a computer, that will poll the gateway for any use.  It does this through a Pseudo Proxy with RRDTool, which is the same way that pfSense, Smoothwall, m0n0wall also monitor use through a router/gateway.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I did not buy the premium graph feature, but from what I can tell, that should have no effect on this problem of a very high upload number.  

As to the proper end date, as you can see, it's set to Jan 20 which is the first day of my current billing cycle.  This still ignores my concern that the upload number should currently only be less than 5 GB (and since we do no signifigant uploading, the number should even be way lower than 5 GB).  That is the only date I've found that can be manipulated in this software.  Is there some other "end date" you know of?

Regarding the 3600 gateway itself, it gets turned off at night and started again the next morning along with my computer.  The UV Software is set to start with Windows 8 bootup.  So, when the computer is on the gateway and the UV software are on. 

So the question remains:  Why is the upload number so disproportionately high?

Usage-2013-02-16-05-20-51.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Please post a typical "Interfaces" tab from near the end of the day and explain what gear is attached to each particular RG port.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

Go back and re-read what the OP posted.  Their problem is most likely they either did not pay for the premium module, or that they did not set the proper end date.  the thing about UVRealtime, is that it has to be running all of the time on a computer, that will poll the gateway for any use.  It does this through a Pseudo Proxy with RRDTool, which is the same way that pfSense, Smoothwall, m0n0wall also monitor use through a router/gateway.

1. The Internet usage meter in UV Realtime properly computes all downstream and upstream values in the free version.  The premium version is not required for this functionality.  The premium version simply adds additional features (usage graphs, more metering modes, and ability to see the usage data in the web server).

2. UV Realtime does not have to be running all the time to come up with accurate numbers, but there are 2 caveats: a) For proper counting, the RG must run 24/7.  b) The usage graphs in the premium version will not be accurate if UV Realtime was not running for a period of time, but the final numbers will still be accurate.

3) RRDTool is only used as the datastore and graphic generation engine.  RRDTool never talks to the RG.  The other programs you mention use RRDTool the same way.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@dean.florida wrote:

Regarding the 3600 gateway itself, it gets turned off at night and started again the next morning along with my computer.  The UV Software is set to start with Windows 8 bootup.  So, when the computer is on the gateway and the UV software are on.

This is a problem.  While, as I stated above, you can periodically shut down and start up UV Realtime and still get accurate numbers, you should NEVER shut down the RG.  A reboot of the RG clears all the interface counters, so the usage will no longer be accurate.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

As you can see on the Interfaces Tab, the 3600 RG has no devices in any of the ports. This is an INTERNET ONLY setup, and the only connection on the back of the RG is the input from the AT&T junction box on the outside of the house, via the wall jack inside the house.

My setup is a pure, single node wireless internet arrangement, with no other routers involved. My secure wireless network has a couple of PCs and a BluRay player as clients. The BluRay player is my wireless access to NETFLIX Streaming service. There is no telephone splitter in the line. We use only cellular service and have no landline.

The Interfaces Tab also shows a much more accurate download to upload ratio of about 23 to 1.

If I understand it correctly, the Interface Tab only shows today's data flow since my equipment was turned on this morning. As I explained in my previous post, all the parts of this sytem including the UV Realtime software are turned on at the same time and are turned off at the same time.

On average our actual download rate is between 1 and 3 GB per day, depending on whether or not we watch a streaming movie on NETFLIX.

Does this give you any insight as to the large disparity in the numbers on the Usage Tab?  I would very much like to continue using the UV Realtime, but it has to show more realistic numbers for it to be a useful tool.

Interfaces-2013-02-16-13-35-34.png

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@dean.florida wrote:

This is a problem.  While, as I stated above, you can periodically shut down and start up UV Realtime and still get accurate numbers, you should NEVER shut down the RG.  A reboot of the RG clears all the interface counters, so the usage will no longer be accurate.

Hmmmmm...  It seems to me that if all the interface counters were wiped each time the RG was shut down, then my Usage Tab numbers would show way too SMALL, instead of way too large.  Your logic eludes me.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Jeffer is exactly correct. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.