Need help with your equipment?
zcworx's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 17th, 2014 8:19 PM

U-Verse data caps

Does AT&T have a data cap for uverse and if so is it enforced?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@lrdiver wrote:

They have a policy on this but I cannot seem to find the linik again. Basically they may or may not have a cap in place for a particular subscriber. In my case there is not one.

They have a link within your account info that may contain usage data. However mine is not implimented as of yet.

Further they state that when implimented, they will notify you when you are nearing the cap. If you go over the cap they will charge you $10 for each additional 50GB.

I am trying to find out more about this since I just saw it buried in an upgrade offer. It looked to me like upgrading your speed might allow them to change the contract terms. Seemed sort of nasty if you ask me.

I got the same upgrade e-mail with the same mention and found that trying to get to the usage meter was not possible (dead ends and loops, but no usage meter).  I've reported this to my AT&T connections, but don't know when or if this will get corrected.

The 250 GB limit on U-verse HSI was established as a policy years ago.  However, they have declined to actually enforce it ever since it was established.  They can change their mind on this at any time, but that is the current state of affairs.

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

9 years ago

That certinly could be the case. However I never noticed the mention of caps in the sales lit before. I was wondering if this had changed or was in the process of doing so.

They also provided this link in an upgrade offer I received;

http://www.att.com/internet-usage

The mention of $10 for an additional 50GB is also mentioned in the offer. It made me wonder if I had missed that caps were being implimented.

If you dig into it a bit, they do say that if your account does not have an entry for bandwidth usage you should just ignor the statements about caps.

Maybe this is all just old news that I just became aware of.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@lrdiver I've seen it the sales offers for awhile, but made no sense as it's not being enforced. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I spoke with an agent this morning via chat and they told me that there is a data cap of 250 GB and every 50 GB you go over it's $10 extra. I currently have Brighthouse and no data cap, just trying to figure out

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Stumbled upon this forum after noticing some mention of data caps on my upgrade to Power tier. I feel like I've gone through this goose chanse before trying to find my data usage and following every link to www.att.com/internet-usage, being instructed to login and never finding anything that actually showed me my usage.

just confirming the speculation I've heard that, for now, U-Verse customers aren't having data caps enforced and there isn't actually a way for us to check our data via the website (as is suggested in all the publications on the site). 

Sound right? I'll actually be calling them in the morning to verify that they aren't charging me to upgrade my service either so I'll comment back if I hear any differently from my assumptions.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

9 years ago

I think your assumptions are right.  I too have tried the usage link and have never been able to see my usage.  If they aren't able to show me or prove what I'm using, then they shouldn't be able to cap it or charge me overage usage.  I will accept any cap, but at least let me see it so I can curb my usage if I'm about to go over.  Just my 2 cents.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I just spoke with a rep today the date is 8-26-15 she said if you have uverse internet at your house and are using the wifi gateway it is unlimited, I did ask if there was a cap for usage she said no, only if you were at a wifi hotspot somewhere and used your account there, than you could go over.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@rubenh85 wrote:

I just spoke with a rep today the date is 8-26-15 she said if you have uverse internet at your house and are using the wifi gateway it is unlimited, I did ask if there was a cap for usage she said no, only if you were at a wifi hotspot somewhere and used your account there, than you could go over.

Sorry, that response applies to your mobile phone data usage, i.e. data provided through your U-verse (or any other provider's) Internet is not counted against your Mobile Phone Data Plan alotment. 

In terms of your U-verse HSI, it matters not whether you are using WiFi access to your RG or not.  If they were metering your usage, then that would be counted just as any wired.  If you're using an AT&T WiFi hotspot, that would not be counted for either alotment.

However, as has been said hundreds of times on these forums, there is an announced U-verse data cap, but there are no available meters, they're not enforced and AT&T would have to give you at least a month's notice before they could bill you if they decided to actualy enforce the caps today.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Ok so basically it just applies to mobile but not internet at your house,
wich they say is capped but in reality its not?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

Yes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.