U-Verse Realtime question

Highlighted
Scholar

U-Verse Realtime question

When I look a the Interfaces tab in UVRT 1.7.0.0, there's a big difference between the VDSL line data in (228 GB) and the total of all the interfaces out:  WiFi 0.5 GB, Ethernet 1 (to DVR) 64.7 GB, and Ethernet 3 (to PC) 3.4 GB.  HPNA and the other Ethernets read 0.  There seems to be 159 GB unaccounted for.  Am I misinterpreting what these numbers mean, or is there a bit bucket filling up rapidly somewhere?

--

oobleck

Message 1 of 5 (754 Views)
Expert

Re: U-Verse Realtime question

Can you post the screenshot of the Interfaces tab?  I'd like to look at all the numbers.

Having said that, there are many things that happen on the RG that cause these numebrs to not add up.  They are:

1. Computer-to-computer traffic.  If one computer sends a file to another computer on a different interface, that causes a lot of the interface totals to not add up to what you think they should, especially if you're looking at the VDSL numbers.

2. Media share traffic.  That goes from a computer to the DVR/STB, and again doesn't involve VDSL.

3. VOIP.  While this amount of traffic is low, it's unique in that data comes into the RG but never leaves. Smiley Surprised  The incoming packets are translated to analog voice on the phone wires and don't ring up an output counter anywhere.  Same with the outgoing VOIP traffic -- the analog voice comes into the RG, and then packets leave the RG via VDSL, but don't increment a corresponding input counter anywhere.

4. UVRT, CMS, and other applications that talk directly to the RG cause increments in counters on one interface only -- data is terminated/generated on the RG and never travels all the way through it.

5. Incoming traffic blocked by the firewall will ring up the VDSL counter but nothing else.

Message 2 of 5 (742 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Here's a  screen shot   for the last 30 days.

Of the items you listed, only #5 sounds like it could be the culprit, but could there be over 100 GB of stuff blocked by the firewall?  I don't have VOIP and don't do much computer-to-computer transferring, and haven't used Media Share much since Music Choice became available. 

--

oobleck

Message 3 of 5 (714 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author oobleck
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Another possibility would be if, sometime after the RG had been rebooted, you went into the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0

and hit the "Reset Statistics" button on the bottom of the page.  This Reset button resets interface statistics for HPNA, Ethernet, and Wireless, but not VDSL.  VDSL interfaces (and error counts) are reset independently on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

Message 4 of 5 (668 Views)
Scholar

I'll bet that's it.  I had assumed all the stats would reset together.  The regular stats were reset about a month ago, but the VDSL stats probably hadn't been reset since the last reboot, which was a month earlier.  I'll reset both pages and see if the discrepancy appears again.

Thanks for the help.

--

oobleck

Message 5 of 5 (626 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.