For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
gdesmitarch's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 18th, 2011 4:40 PM

U-Verse Home network help.

I am planning on wiring my home to have RJ-45 jacks in every room.  My main service from ATT comes into my home office and then from there the tech ran a single line back through my crawl space to my TV in the Living room.  The issue is that I have run out of ports with a computer, networked printer and Sprint AirRave all connected into the back of the Wireless Modem/Router that ATT provided me.  So heres the question...

Can I run the Gigabit switch that I have out of one of the ports on the provided ATT router and from there run lines to all the rooms?  I was going to locate the switch in the closet in the office so that I just have one "IN" port and one "OUT" port on the wallplate I'm installing.  We plan on getting another U-Verse box for our bedroom but want to know whether or not I should run all these lines first. 

Thanks all for your help in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

@gdesmitarch wrote:

Did you mean 802.1p and not 802.11p?  If not, could you recommend a switch that will work.  I was originally looking at this one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122141&cm_re=802.1p-_-33-122-141-_-Product

It was one of only a few that I could find that said it supported IEEE 802.1p

Thanks!

Yes that will work and that is the brand I see the AT&T techs put in.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I would run everything associated with the computer/s on a separate switch and all the STB's off the RG if you

can't do this make sure the switch is 802.11p compliant.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I'v been reading some of the other help in the forums and I guess it comes down to this... do I have to have any STB's connected directly to the RG or can they run through a switch first.  I guess its not a huge deal but I would rather have the switch somewhere out of the way so I dont have to have a 4 port wall plate and run 3 patch cables from the RG to the wall in addition to the "input" wall plate. 

So from the response that you gave me, as long as the switch is 802.11p compliant I can run the from the bedrooms and the living room into a central switch before running that back to the RG? 

I have seen others using a router behind router setup but I havn't had any issues with the wireless so far so I didn't see a need for it.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Did you mean 802.1p and not 802.11p?  If not, could you recommend a switch that will work.  I was originally looking at this one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122141&cm_re=802.1p-_-33-122-141-_-Product

It was one of only a few that I could find that said it supported IEEE 802.1p

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.