For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
fthorsby's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 26th, 2015 3:50 PM

U Verse 5-Static IP, private network issues

I recently switched from ATT 5 static IP DSL to U Verse 5 static IP.  I have several Linux servers running on my network, serving webpages and email, etc. Right from the start, I had issues with the NVG 510 router handing out some of my Static Ip's to internal equipment, such as Hoppers, Joeys, cell phones, iPads, etc. I can't reach any of my servers public ip address, from within my private network.  So, when I am working on a website, I can't access from my home computer, to see how it looks.  I can only access my own email server through it's 2nd nic, set for private address, i.e. 192.168.1.65.  The same for all servers.

What I have done so far: Turned off DHCP on all wireless routers. Set NVG 510 DHCP to 192.168.1.1. Turned off wireless on NVG510.  Set up my own DHCP and DNS servers on private network. Hand out addresses based on MAC address.

Problem: Still can't reach my Public Static IP's from within my local, private network.  Any suggestions? All of this worked great on old DSL, until service started to degrade.

Thanks, Fred

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I did finally get my system working, but it is with the NVG510, because of my location, I am probably maxed out in speed. Here is what I did:
turned off the wifi on the NVG510, set DHCP to start and end at 192.168.1.1, used the wifi on the Asus router.
Plugged a different router(Asus) into one of the Ethernet ports, assigned it one of the static ip's
Connected all of my local lan computers and devices to the Asus, including the local lan nic of my dual nic Dell PE2650 servers
The public IP nic of the servers were connected to Ethernet ports of NVG510, static ip's assigned to the servers for one of my public ip's
Configured one of the servers with DHCP and DNS for the all of the local lan computers and devices

Now, everything works as it should. I did have one of the ATT technicians contact me, because of my post, which I appreciated. He got the port 25 opened for me. It was kind of a clunky or non-elegant solution, but it works. Not sure if the NVG589 would work the same way and I don't think I'm going to try!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @fthorsby,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your static IPs, but I will be glad to help. Are you able to access your public IPs from an external network? Try doing a trace route from your private IP to one of your public IPs, and see where it is failing. Let us know, and we will be happy to help get this fixed for you.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I had the 5 pack static IP option and it woked flawlessly  .. until I upgraded my speed which required an NVG589 gateway. I was then faced with the same issue you have. I could access home servers once and then my access would time out. I could go to Panera's, for example, and access was fine.

I went round and round with AT&T. I had several people at AT&T looking at the issue. I was finally told that this equipment does not support webservers, mailservers or any kind of server with static IPs. My only option was to go back to the previous gateway, which was approved until the local supervisor stepped in. He would not 'downgrade' me.

I finally gave up.

This was about a year ago .. for grins I decided to reorder the static IPs hoping that something had changes.

Same problem .. cannot access servers locally ..

So today I am having internet installed by another vendor and will soon dump AT&T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.