Need help with your equipment?
Big-B's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 2:11 AM

Think found how to get new IP!

So I think I found how we can get a true new IP on Uverse.

If I do a factory reset on my modem itself using the web GUI option, every time I get a new IP address... Normally your IP does not ever change with uverse.

Anyway just thought I would share that as a number of techs and people think you must get a new modem with uverse...

Anyone else care to check and see if holds true for them too?

I think this happens because it causes your device to re-register with the net.

IF you try to log on too soon after a default it will tell you that your not authorized and to call AT&T but than it will connect in a moment and boom, New IP!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Normally I would have agreed with the free static IP address, until I got hacked.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Does this work for changing IP?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It is 9/16/18

I began having problems accessing certain academic open websites. A check with the webmasters told me that changing my ip would fix the problem. (I supposedly have a dynamic ip). I unplugged my modem while I was on vacation for 10 days. I had the same IP.

I did the unplug overnight and re-set exercise dozens of times over the past two+ years.

I called AT&T. I kept getting put on hold. After a LONG time waiting and hanging up and calling back, I got someone on the phone who transferred me to someone else who transferred me to someone else. Then I spent 90 minutes with someone India who ran diagnostics and did a factory re-set then determined that I needed a new modem.

I got the new modem and took the old one to UPS to send it back to AT&T.

Plugged it in. Pressed the red button for 45 seconds. I got connected. Same old ip address.

I called again and went through the SAME thing. Factory re-set, etc. 90 minutes. No joy. same ip address that I've had for over 2 years.

Called again. Same ol' same ol'. I was told that a technician would be sent out the next day to find the problem. The LINE TECHNICIAN did the talking to AT&T this time. He was told that the there was a problem with my incoming line. His phone app told him otherwise, He was run through the same *beep* (test, factory re-set, etc). My ip didn't change.

I called AT&T AGAIN. I went through the same *beep* then demanded to talk to a supervisor. I was told that a dynamic ip address doesn’t change. If I want my ip to change I would need to by several static ips addresses. Right. (Figure that one out).

I was told that no factory re-set or anything that I did or AT&T did could change my ip address. This was a supervisor telling me this, He gave me the MAILING ADDRESS of a complaint department.

Bottom line: According to AT&T, there are no such things as dynamic ips, nothing can be done by me or AT&T to change the ip address unless there's a massive outage in my area. If I am assigned a banned ip address, changing modems or doing a factory reset won't solve the problem I am stuck with the same lousy ip address.

My phone won't accept the new router's password. My laptop won't accept it either. My wife's phone and laptop won't accept it either. What are the chances that I'll EVER call AT&T for help again?

Customer service seems not to be aware of much. I had to change my modem, talk to numerous customer service reps and waste about six hours of my time to come to the conclusion that I'd have to change service providers in order to get a new ip address.

AT&T knows my ip address, yet I have to sign up and sign in to participate in this forum. I made several attempts to join this forum. My chosen forum name wasn't acceptable, so AT&T suggested ATT1 as an acceptable user name.. GUESS WHAT? I learned that I can't use ATT in my user name even though AT&T suggested the name! I had to go through several  "I am not a Robot" tests before AT&T accepted my user name. Good luck folks!

Post script: this message was rejected for using a "bad word". Interesting. I can't use letters, but ATT is okay in the body of the message. Such a sensitive company.

90 minutes spent to post this message!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

RESET on 192.168.1.254 did not generate a new dynamic IPV4 address.

2019-04-15

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

My IP address has been blacklisted by usps, ups and believe it or not at&t.com too. I discovered malware on a laptop I rarely use but it stays on, and connected to the internet.   Is it still impossible to get a new up address?  Should I just cancel the gigabit fiber I've had for 3 years and go back to charter spectrum?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.