Need help with your equipment?
Big-B's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 2:11 AM

Think found how to get new IP!

So I think I found how we can get a true new IP on Uverse.

If I do a factory reset on my modem itself using the web GUI option, every time I get a new IP address... Normally your IP does not ever change with uverse.

Anyway just thought I would share that as a number of techs and people think you must get a new modem with uverse...

Anyone else care to check and see if holds true for them too?

I think this happens because it causes your device to re-register with the net.

IF you try to log on too soon after a default it will tell you that your not authorized and to call AT&T but than it will connect in a moment and boom, New IP!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

Well here is an odd one... I factory reset again and also did not get a new IP... Did it a third time and think I found what triggers it maybe?

A. Factory reset only gets you new IP if you happen to be around renewal time (odds of guessing that are rare lol)

B. Bug in system or unable to contact same dhcp host

C. During the reset process if you try to get on too fast the 2wire will say its not authorized and fail to connect, than when it connects again its forced to re-register as if its a new modem and that got the new IP.

(I wish factory reset would let my DMZ+ mode work 😞 no go for me and my cisco, keeps going back to nat after the 10 min period)

Anyway guess this find may only be partially true. If anyone ever after a new IP just give it a shot and while its booting up keep trying to go online. Maybe that will force it.

I have learned that after the 2wire is booted its not really up all the way like one thinks. For example when I factory reset mine, I can get on it and make changes without being required to enter any password. I can even change the password without entering the old one if I do it soon after boot. IT seems at that point it has not loaded everything as the password option has nothing selected and all the other pages are unprotected.

Same for disabling the wifi. If you reboot your 2wire and have it disabled, it boots with it on by default and if fast enough will connect but than drop when it turns back off lol

This 2wire is indeed odd. It actually has a LOT of potential and settings that I have found to be disabled and hidden. Sad that AT&T does not allow HSI only customers at least to have open profile/config on them. It does some funky QOS settings I found but they are set by config file of course.  For me they are useless as I have no TV or VOIP with AT&T.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for posting.  I'm sure many will try it.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

13 years ago

@Big-B wrote:

Anyone else care to check and see if holds true for them too?

No thanks.  As I see it, always getting the same IP is an advantage.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

I agree, I like free static also (although its not always going to stay, sometimes it will still change but shold be rare) but this wont make it change more often.

I just want to see if this is true as general or just for me works? I only get new IP if I factory default from webgui, rebooting itself and release/renew on the device does not change the IP still...

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

13 years ago

Doesn't going to this page in the router and clicking the RESET IP button work?

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

bahh. HATE IE 9 can't reply or post here or get blank post...

Anyway no, nothing else you can do will give you a new IP. Even level 2 cant get you a new IP less a modem or vrad card slot change. Most often they will modem swap but even than its like pulling teeth. I just had my modem swapped because had another issue and the new one gave me a blacklisted IP so thats how I ran into a mess again.

I am on a 24/3 plan with a 3600 and no lease fee. They keep trying to get me on a 3801 which while I would love as has dual CPU so can handle traffic better, it comes with the lease fee for $4 a month which I think is wrong because I JUST spent $100 a month ago on the darn 3600 so I have to be careful with swaps.

But only old school DSL could reboot or release/renew and get you a new IP. Uverse is basically static with few ports blocked and subject to change but generally wont. A static IP plan gets you guaranteed nonchaning and opens a few blocked ports which most often don't apply to people.

Anyway if you don't mind feel free to test yours see what works and don't, unless you trying to keep the same IP.. I don't host anything so didn't care but interested to see someone else test out.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

13 years ago

That won't work on the 3800 RG for voice/TV/internet, you are talking apples and oranges w/the internet-only 3600.  I tried it and the IP address stayed the same. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

3600 & 3800 are identical with the exception of the Coax port for TV. Hardware wise they are the same and the 3600 is voice/internet 🙂

But thanks for trying for me, be interested if anyone else does with a 3600 to see though, shouldn't matter. Maybe its vrad dependent also, cant explain why it does on mine.

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

13 years ago

A reset of it does not make it look any different to the DSLAM/VRAD.  The box still needs to authenticate but the equipment knows what IP the GW had before.

There is a limited set of criteria that can be done and it was just sheer luck you were able to get a new IP.  I bet it wouldn't happen again.  The IP allocation is quite sticky.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

A couple months ago I changed my network configuration from using the 2Wire router directly to using a Cisco 2811 behind the 2Wire in DMZPlus mode.  At the time I tried to simply remove all my previous firewall rules and just put the Cisco in as the DMZPlus device.  What was happening was that the 2Wire would revert the Cisco back to a normal device (not in the DMZ) after a short time.  I ended up factory resetting the 2Wire router to correct this.  That worked, and the Cisco now stays as the DMZPlus device.

My IP address also changed when I did this.  I had to update my domains that point to my home server.

My 2Wire is a 3800HGV-B.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.