Need help with your equipment?
Greenosity's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, December 12th, 2014 1:47 PM

Static (external) IPs, 3600HGV, and Netgear router

I just had AT&T set up the 8 block external static IPs but I now have no idea how to use them with my devices. I have the 2WIRE 3600HGV and a Netgear WNDR4500 router (using DMZPlus mode) which has been working fine for a couple of years. I only use the RG for modem; not routing. I use port forwarding to access a NAS, security cameras, etc. AT&T has offered absolutely no guidance after purchasing the static IPs. Basically "here you go - bye".

First: should I have received a newer RG from AT&T to make configuration of this easier/possible? I read a number of posts (none very recent) that implied the 2WIRE is/was not the best for use with static IPs. Should I request a newer RG before pulling my hair out trying to configure the 2WIRE for this? The AT&T tech said he had one but didn't give me any reason to swap it. He actually implied the newer models weren't as powerful (referring to their Wi-Fi range I guess).

I'm confused that, although I now have five usable static IPs, my external IP is still showing the one it's always had - not an IP in the static IP range. Can someone please explain that?

I've tried a couple of receommendations but my Netgear cannot access the internet with its IP set to one of the external static IPs. Can anyone provide instructions for configuring my Netgear router and 3600HGV so that I can use *even one* external static IP? My main goal is to access my NAS with an external static IP and still be able to access it on the LAN, of course. Is trying this a waste of time until I get a newer RG?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I finally had to settle for configuring my Netgear router as just an access point (AP mode) and use the 2WIRE as the router, giving up the ability to set OpenDNS parental controls DNS at the router level on the Netgear. Instead, I had configure DNS on every iPad, iPhone, and a Nexus tablet (for each wireless network, too) and on a PC, MacBook Air, and iMac that connects to my LAN (I have two children). I only have U-verse internet service and they should provide the ability to set our preferred DNS in the router.

Summary:

1. Add Additional Network is enabled and configured for my static external IP block.

2. Netgear WNDR4500 is set to AP mode and still works fine with the Netgear WN2500RP extender.

3. Synology NAS (web, email, surveillance station, backup, etc.) is configured for one of my external IP addresses using the following:

Address Assignment: Public (select WAN IP Mapping)

WAN IP Mapping: Public Fixed: 104.xxx.xxx.xxx

I was worried about accessing the NAS (or any other device with a static external IP) from another device on my LAN but traceroute shows that everything works and stays local. Makes sense. I may also configure my PC with another external static IP from my block.

BTW, I use FreeDNS (http://freedns.afraid.org/) to configure my domain names with my static IPs and MX records for Gmail.

Thanks for the help.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Employee,

Thank you but your reply didn't answer a single question I posted. I'm OK with having to purchase a different RG. The AT&T technician told me he had one in his truck and implied that I could get it. The question is do I *need* a newer RG that could possibly provide more options for configuring external static IPs than my current 2WIRE? You didn't answer that.

Why does my external IP still show the same IP as it always has? You didn't answer that. Even if that's normal, please explain how my new block of 8 static IPs works with my old, existing IP which is not in that block. I'm curious about these things. I want to know how that works.

How do I configure my Netgear router with my 2WIRE for external IP access? You didn't answer that.

I'm posting these questions to the *community*, not directly to AT&T so having an AT&T employee tell me that "your [sic] responsible for setup your personal equipment" is a useless response. I know I'm responsible so that's exactly why I'm asking the community and reading many, many posts elsewhere.

I set up my Netgear router and additional Netgear extender with the 2WIRE myself by reading other's posts on how to do this. I've set up port forwarding in my router for my NAS and four security cameras with internal static IPs. I've set up services to keep my domain names updated in DNS with my current (dynamic) external IP. I've configured my router to use OpenDNS nameservers so that everyone on my LAN is protected (changing the DNS nameservers on the 2WIRE is not possible) I'm not going to pay someone else to do this for me. If I have the correct instructions *for the equipment I have*, I'm perfectly able to do this myself. I'm asking the community to see if anyone else has done this.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

The 3600 Residential Gateway (RG) can handle the static address block.  When you purchase a static address block, you maintain the dynamic public address, and the static addresses are additional to that.  You can set up the public statics in a Suplemental Network, then connect devices directly (or via switch, i.e. not through a router) to the RG and statically assign them one of the 5 usable IP addresses.

If you want the devices to be connected to your router (not the RG), then you have to set up a Cascaded Router setup, which tells the RG to pass all the traffic destined for those public IP addresses to your router at the address in the Cascaded Router setup.  Then that router needs to handle the routing to those addresses.

I'm not sure the 3600 has the Cascaded Router feature in its firmware, but I believe that it does.  I don't think the 5031 firmware has any features the 3600 doesn't, so I don't think that would help you to make that "upgrade."

I hope that made sense.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

JefferMC,

Thank you. That makes more sense than being told that I'm responsible for doing this myself.

My 2WIRE does have an 'Add Cascaded Router' option but I had not run across any documentation describing that feature. These settings are present for that:

1. Enable chekbox - however, this is disabled - I cannot check it. ??

2. Network address

3. Subnet mask

4. Choose the router that will host the secondary subnet (my Netgear is one option to select).

What should these be set to? If I can't check the Enable checkbox, am I out of luck? Why would it be disabled?

If this allows external static IPs to be routed to devices attached to the router, any idea of how to assign which device gets which external IP or is that a function of the specific router, if it has that ability at all?

My RG is set for DMZPlus mode with my router as the selected computer. The router's Internet IP address is set to the external (dynamic) IP and gateway it's always had. Does that need to change?

I appreciate your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Greenosity wrote:

JefferMC,

Thank you. That makes more sense than being told that I'm responsible for doing this myself.

My 2WIRE does have an 'Add Cascaded Router' option but I had not run across any documentation describing that feature. These settings are present for that:

1. Enable chekbox - however, this is disabled - I cannot check it. ??

2. Network address

3. Subnet mask

4. Choose the router that will host the secondary subnet (my Netgear is one option to select).

What should these be set to? If I can't check the Enable checkbox, am I out of luck? Why would it be disabled?

If this allows external static IPs to be routed to devices attached to the router, any idea of how to assign which device gets which external IP or is that a function of the specific router, if it has that ability at all?

My RG is set for DMZPlus mode with my router as the selected computer. The router's Internet IP address is set to the external (dynamic) IP and gateway it's always had. Does that need to change?

I appreciate your help.

Hm... not sure how to enable it if not already enable.  Try a power cycle and see if that does it.  I figured if you had a static IP, then you could enable it.  You may have to PM the U-verse Care people for help with that ( AT&T logoU-verse Customer Service link ).   The network address would be the lowest address in the static subnet (should be divisible by 8).  The netmask would be 255.255.255.248 (i.e. all the bits set but the last three).  The address of your router would be the secondary network host (the address of its WAN interface on the RG's LAN).

To assign a public address to a device, you would go to that device, open its TCP/IP setup and assign the static address to it there.  Also, give it your router's LAN interface IP address as its gateway router (and likely DNS server as well).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

SomeJoe7777 did have a post that explained it. You can have either an Additional Network or a Cascaded Router configured; not both. Apparently, having the DMZPlus configured does not affect these settings.

Now that I have the cascaded router configured, I'm stuck on how to configure my Netgear WNDR4500 to route my external static IP addresses to specific internal LAN devices.That's probably a topic for the Netgear forums.

Thanks for the help.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

I think what you need to do is change the LAN (inside) IP address range to your public address subnet.  If it were a commercial router, you could add the IP address range, but I don't know of any consumer grade router that lets you do more than one network.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.