Need help with your equipment?
A72CUTLAS's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 1:06 AM

Speed has drasticly fallen...

I have had U-Verse Max+ since about 6 months ago and was getting 11Mb down and 1Mb up consistently. I logged on 4 days ago and found the downloads to very slow.  Speedtest.net is showing only 5Mb down and .5 up. My pc is connected to the router through a powerline as the gateway is downstairs, though I don'r see that being the problem since that is how the tech's installed it.  I'd appreciate any help offered.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The 3801 should work with UVRT.  You have a 3801 with Internet only?  That's somewhat strange, but not unworkable.  Your stats give most of what UVRT would, except the bitloading graph.  Let's see here:

In the past 6 days (of the 2 weeks your statistics cover) your line has done well.  No retrains, no nasty errors, no ECC errors, and a nominal number of FEC errors.

Your raw max line rate is 44Mbps down, which is normally good enough for a 32/5 profile (needed for MaxTurbo).  The profile they've set you up for is the 19/2 profile, which is plenty good enough for 12/1.5 HSIA service.  In short, it really doesn't look like the problem is between the RG and the VRAD, though I'd really like to see if the bitloading graph shows artifacts indicating reflection.  

One thing I note is that, assuming I've done my math right, you've passed 26 GB of data upstream in 14.5 days.  That's a fairly decent amount of upstream traffic (in fact, that's about 40 hours of solid full-out transmission), so my next question is do you:

• use online backup
  • upload a large number of pictures or videos
  • use P2P software (such as bittorrent, etc.)
  • play a game which uses a P2P mechanism to distribute game patches/updates

and would any of these be going on while you're running speed tests?

EDIT: I also calculate that you have effectively used about 25% of the total capacity of your download bandwidth over this 14.5 days period.  Double check me on this:

1224656301747 bytes divided by (1024 * 1024) to get Mbytes = 1167923 MB

1167923 * 8 bytes/bit to get Mbits = 9343386 Mb

12 Mbps * 60 m/s * 60 m/h * 24 h/day * 14.5 days = 37584000 Mb capacity of the line

9343386 Mb / 37584000 Mb = 24.9%

Does this surprise you?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I do upoad pictures/videos at times and also use P2P but not while I'm running speed test. As a matter of fact I haven't done any of that since discovering the slow speeds. And I have phone and tv along with internet service on the 3801. Not sure why so much uploading was done in the 2 week period you noticed.

When I left the cable co and joined UVerse I'm not sure if the gave me new power line adapters, could this be the problem? I rebooted them twice when you suggested that before and all green lights lit up, could they be failing? And if so where can I purchase new ones?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I don't know whats happened but I checked a speed test and I got 10+ down and 2 up. Maybe the tech they sent out was correct in saying that ATT had some equiptment down and they finally fixed it. I'll watch closely till I'm sure the problem is fixed. Thank you once again for all your help.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you JefferMC but I have only one more question. Looking at my stats do you think my line would support a faster tier? Say the Max Plus(18mBPS DOWN)?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks alot for your time and patience, I really appreciate it. My speeds are still running about 9 down and 2 up which isn't the 11 down I had become use to but is workable.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Not sure why you're not getting the full 12 (and just a wee bit more).  Keep an eye on it.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure whats happening but I'm only getting the 8-9Mbs down. The up speed is what it should be so I'm thinking it couldn't be the power plugs(not sure what they're called). When I was first installed I was getting just below 12 so I was content. Not sure about increasing when I'm not getting full speed on this tier.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

It sure would be nice if we could plug a laptop directly into the RG and test things there.  Would answer a question or two.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

horrible experiences !!!! I have beared it for a half year. Stop it!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@darrellzhang wrote:

horrible experiences !!!! I have beared it for a half year. Stop it!

What?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.