Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Slow Bandwidth via iPerf Test

Teacher

Slow Bandwidth via iPerf Test

Can anybody help explain why http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/ shows that I'm getting 43.07 Mbps down and 5.20 Mbps up, but an IPERF test only shows that I'm getting 5.47 Mbps both up and down?

Thanks

att speedtest.pngatt RG.pngatt iperf.png

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 18
Expert

Re: slow bandwidth

@bcothren wrote:

Can anybody help explain why www.att.net/speedtest shows that I'm getting 43.07 Mbps down and 5.20 Mbps up, but an IPERF test only shows that I'm getting 5.47 Mbps both up and down?

Thanks

Maybe because IPERF is described this way "IPERF is a professional bandwidth test tool for qualifying performance of corporate networks and the Internet."

Not designed for the consumer market.  ATT speedtest is designed for consumers.

Try this one and see what you get: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Smiley Wink

Edit:  Think you meant this: http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Yours goes to a 404 page.  At both places on 12/1.50M Internet got 15.35/1.97 just now.  On the HTML5 speed test just got 16.13/2.1M

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 2 of 18
Teacher

Chris, where do you see that IPERF isn't designed for the consumer market?  Why wouldn't IPERF work on a residental network?  The Wiki for IPERF says "Iperf is significant as it is a cross-platform tool that can be run over any network and output standardized performance measurements."

Also a very good read:

http://maciejkus.com/blog/2015/01/11/most-accurate-bandwidth-speed-test/

Speakeasy site says 22.89 Down and 5.07 up, so it's worse than att.com/speedtest shows.

Message 3 of 18
Expert

@bcothren   His Speedof.me situation is normal.  If you immediately test again, the results will be lower for whatever reason.

For me I just make sure I'm getting full download speed on large files, 1.8-1.85 MB for the 15.35Mb my line will carry.  You should be getting a 5.4-5.55 MB download rate for your 45Mb Internet. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 4 of 18
Professor

You should try multiple servers for each speedtest. I have seen full speeds from one server and a few minutes later low speeds from a different one.
Message 5 of 18
ACE - Expert

The most accurate test of speed of your connection is likely the highest one you get from however many different tests/servers you try.  I don't blame anyone for filtering out results provided by their own ISP, but I've found http://speedtest.net to be pretty darn reliable, as long as you get a reasonable server (some are underpowered for the load they're given).

All speed tests work by downloading a known amount of data and timing it.  This includes Oomla (speedtest) and iPerf.  The difference is how they accomplish it and the host is that's providing the data for download.  You need to consider the raw distance as well as the network congestion and load on that host. I have no idea how loaded the server "mypassword.ochsner.org" is or how congested its network is.  I can tell it's in (or near) Nashville, TN while you appear to be somewhere in LA.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 18
Teacher

Well, the load on that server is very minimal.  I am in New Orleans, and it's a virtual server that could move from my main datacenter here or to our secondary datacenter in Nashville.  It sits on my work DMZ and I've only allowed a handful of IP's access through my firewall for testing.  If i run the iPerf test from my corporate network, I'm limiting out what is available on my WAN connection (currently getting 263 Mbps from iPerf and I have a 300 Mbps circuit at my office location).

Even a public iPerf server in California (iperf.he.net) shows 5.3 Mbps from my home.

The speedtest.net shows essentially the same thing as the ATT speedtest.  They are both Oomla, so there isn't a surprise there.  If I select another server farther away, and not hosted by AT&T, I get expected slower times, but not by much.

I guess what I'm looking for is why iPerf would only be showing the 5.5 average bandwidth speeds for both sending and receiving from U-verse. Is it a limitation from the upload speed?  If so, that's fine, I just want know.

Message 7 of 18
ACE - Expert

To be honest, I've seen iPerf before but haven't spent any significant time researching it, so I cannot provide any feedback on how it works.  My gut is that something is causing the download speed to be limited by the upload speed (as you suggested).  Have you tried increasing the client window size (-w) and/or increasing streams (-P) for comparison 

Before I spent the time diagnosing it further, I'd set up a real-world test by downloading a reasonably-large package from Oracle or Microsoft (or someone else with a huge content delivery network).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 18
Teacher

I just did a FTP transfer of a large file and did not get good results.

ftp: 109209596 bytes received in 127.28Seconds 858.05Kbytes/sec.

I'll try something from Microsoft and let you know.

Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

I've been assuming you've been doing these tests over a wired connection to your Gateway.  Is this accurate?

Message 10 of 18
Teacher

Yes, that is correct.

Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Teacher

I was able to download the .NET Framework from Microsoft (Full Package) that was 231.5 MB in size.  It took 2 minutes and 14 seconds, so if I do the math correctly, it's just under 14 Mbits/sec.

Not sure if thats good since I'm paying for 45, but it is obviously better than the 5.5 that iPerf is showing...

Message 12 of 18
ACE - Expert

Yes, that represents 13.8 Mbps.  Is your connection otherwise quiet when you're conducting these tests?  No IPTV viewing/recording, no online backups, no Hulu watching, etc?

Message 13 of 18
Teacher

The only traffic today would be me using teamviewer to get into the pc.  Nobody else is home, and there shouldn't be anything recording on the TV during the day.

Message 14 of 18
ACE - Expert

Team viewer would have a non-zero impact on the operation.  Whether it would be significant or not it hard to say.  Especially any delays caused by not being able to send any screen updates to you at your remote location in a timely manner (I call it an extension of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle).

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support