Need help with your equipment?
wsrb61's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 4th, 2017 4:33 PM

Server Unexpectedly Dropped the Connection

We recently purchased AT&T U-Verse Internet service.  Since then, we can no longer connect to select web pages (including some of AT&T's pages) from our iMacs anylonger.  We either receive errors that "the server unexpectedly dropped the connection" or they simply don't load at all.  The problem persist using Safari and Chrome.

I spent most of the morning so far with AT&T chat and then just had AT&T's special technical support call.  Unfortunately, they will help only if I agree to a $15 per month technical support subscription for 12 months!!  Really!  Couldn't be more frustrated with the "superfast" AT&T internet at this point.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@wsrb61

Please disable IPv6 on your AT&T provided router/gateway. Some Apple products don't play well with AT&T's IPv6.

What type/model AT&T provided router/gateway is installed?

Please review the Settings/ Broadband/Status page on your AT&T provided router/gateway and check for errors, then clear counters, and in an hour check again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your help.  The gateway is a 2wire 5268AC.  Turning off IPv6 seems to have worked.  However, isn't IPv6 necessary, at least in the not too distant future?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

The primary reason for IPv6 is more IP addresses but there are also more networking options/controls. Network engineering creativity has slowed rollout by minimizing immediate need. Then you get a vendor like AT&T whose IPv6 implementation causes more problems than it solves.

I have not heard of any user requiring IPv6 for anything other than bragging rights. First, all internet backbones need to be IPv6, with conversion to and coexistence with IPv4 to end user. That takes time and $$$$.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

It's interesting that this problem happens with Macs. I've had dropped connections regularly after ATT "fixed" a complete loss of connection on U-verse. I finally called again, got some software fixes to my modem remotely, still had to have a tech come out. He ended up insisting that the signal was coming in fine and on to my laptop from my modem, so blamed.... Windows 10. Bottom line: I'm living with continually dropped connections, which I never had until moving to U-verse. Last week, I got a problem on my iPad too, so I'm reasonably sure this is an ATT problem. But I don't use the iPad enough to be able to document the issue.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@jcnoho wrote:

It's interesting that this problem happens with Macs. I've had dropped connections regularly after ATT "fixed" a complete loss of connection on U-verse. I finally called again, got some software fixes to my modem remotely, still had to have a tech come out. He ended up insisting that the signal was coming in fine and on to my laptop from my modem, so blamed.... Windows 10. Bottom line: I'm living with continually dropped connections, which I never had until moving to U-verse. Last week, I got a problem on my iPad too, so I'm reasonably sure this is an ATT problem. But I don't use the iPad enough to be able to document the issue.

@jcnoho

In the years that I have been responding to queries on this forum I can safely state that not all "dropped connections" are the same.

Are you getting all WiFi bars before, during, and after the drop?

You say that you have a modem, what is it's type and model? Have you checked error logs?

Do your drops occur when accessing the same website?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Modem: Arris NVG589 (the one provided and branded by ATT for U--Verse).

A technician spent over an hour trying to diagnose the problem and assured me that I was getting a clear signal to my modem and from the modem to my laptop even as drops happened. I don't actually see the bars myself while I'm working.

The drop happens on a number of sites, though not all.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone can diagnose my particular problem via this board, given that the technician couldn't right on site. I wanted above all to let people know this happens on various operating systems and does indeed appear to be U-Verse related. If any solution appears, it will be because enough people complain that ATT finds a root cause rather than blaming different operating systems,

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@jcnoho wrote:

Honestly, I don't know if anyone can diagnose my particular problem via this board, given that the technician couldn't right on site. It is up to you to diagnose by providing us on the forum with information. It is up to us on this forum to use that diagnosis information you provide to suggest remedies.

I wanted above all to let people know this happens on various operating systems and does indeed appear to be U-Verse related. Specify more detail regarding "various operating systems". Can you advise as to the web browser are you using as well as what you are doing with the web browser when you experience a drop; gaming, email, video streaming, ...

If any solution appears, it will be because enough people complain that ATT finds a root cause rather than blaming different operating systems, Statistically, Windows has been the more problematic primarily because users are using older versions, not updating their systems, not using virus protection, or just  knowing enough to change configuration settings. Corporations like Windows because they can play "Big Brother" and control every aspect of an employees PC. 

First, let's disable IPv6. Using your web browser, connect to 192.168.1.254. Go to the Home Network tab and then Configure. Somewhere on that screen you should see the option to turn IPv6 off. Be sure to save.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.51.24 AM.JPG

With further information from you and the results of disabling IPv6, we'll go from there.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. I had already done that via Windows based on the comments above. Didn't work. Tried via the IP, again no luck. (FYI I would never access an IP blind these days without knowing exactly what it is; had to look that up.)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I'm not the original poster, but I'm having a similar issue.  I tried disabling IPv6 and it did not work- the connection dropped within 3 minutes and took longer to reconnect than before.  I turned it back on for now.

Someone mentioned logs- here is a screen shot of the log for today...

att error log 7-11-17.JPG

We had the modem replaced in Feb by a technician.  We have chatted with CS and done a hard reset and NUMEROUS soft resets.  My work laptop runs Windows 7 and both our persona laptops run Windows 10.  Same issue everywhere.  

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@prosan98

I hope your are aware that the IP address 68.94.157.10 is for a AT&T DNS server. You need to implement these three recommendations and DO NOT return to original settings. The original settings may or may not be causing your current issue but by not implementing you are asking for future challenges. Here are three recommendations:

1. Disable IPv6 on your AT&T provided router/gateway - IPv6 is enabled by default and can cause a slow network and other communication issues
  2. Change the Ethernet port configuration for each port on your AT&T provided router/gateway from Auto-detect to 100BaseT/Full Duplex - This will eliminate auto-negotiation incompatibilities
  3. Use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) on your devices (laptops, PCs, TV, tablets) but retain DHCP
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.