Need help with your equipment?
alt_phil's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 12:07 AM

SMTP outbound blocked

Got U-Verse + Internet.  Specifically asked if it was ok to run my own e-mail server (sendmail: personal use, personal domain, no hosted, no relay).  Was assured it was fine to do so, and that AT&T would setup my DNS PTR record for my static IPs.

Had to call in to remove the block on outbound SMTP (tcp 25).  They removed it, no problems for months.

Recently lost connectivity all day, think nov 2nd.  Outbound SMTP has been blocked again since.  Obviously an AT&T network problem.  "telnet 25" times out.  tcptraceroute dies at the AT&T 2wire router.  Remote mailservers never see any traffic from me when doing a packet capture on them.  My own equipment has been testing without any firewall at all beyond the at&t provided 2wire modem/router.

Uverse tech support level 2 tells me that outbound SMTP is not blocked, and that I should call Connect Tech.

Connect Tech tells me that it's an obvious network problem and I should call DSL tech support.

They refer me back to connect tech, who refers me back to tech support.  Over and over... all darn day.

What can I do?  I can't get anyone to escalate this issue to anyone that even knows what "SMTP" is.  I've had people try to walk me through setting up 'the outlook' (*sigh*... I don't even use windows let alone 'the outlook').  I had one tech insist that I *HAD* to use Yahoo webmail and that makes port 25 work.  (Really?)

So frustrated.

I know my stuff, I'm a high-end Linux and Network guy by trade.

I know AT&T is still blocking SMTP out.  I can't seem to convince anyone of this and just get the constant ping-pong between dsl tech and connectech.

There's just GOT to be some way to get this escalated beyond all these low-end call center reps.  Suggestions?  Anyone have a magic phrase that gets you past the connect-tech <--> dsl support loop?

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Just took one call for me to get my port 25 unblocked.  I just had to explain it and ask they contact tier two.  I was also able to get my reverse dns changed, but that took an email to a fellow named Ron at ATT.  Took about 24 hours to get it all sorted.  Now I can email back to craigs list and others that do reverse lookups.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

So just spoke with AT&T via chat and also Matt via eMail. They all want to charge $29 via that other service...

How can they say me requesting a port unblock is UNSUPPORTED via AT&T and I must use that service? That company is for unsupported help like Virus, Wifi setup, other troubleshooting not service related.

My request to unblock a port is service related. What is wrong with this company? Either they are greedy as heck or dont know how to train people what the additional support service is REALLY for...

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Call back and ask to be escalated to Tier 2; they can do it for you.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

Isn't Matt in Lvl2? He is on the list of people doing this...

I spoke with a manger even and they said no I have to pay.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, but I thought maybe his email might have said otherwise.  You are looking at Port 25?

Look at this post here, they got it done by Tier 2; took 24 hrs. to take hold.  This is how it has always been done.  If they're charging for it, that is news to us.

I know they are pushing ConnecTech, but that's what this free forum is for!

You might wait and let others chime in later who have had this port unblocked (at no charge).

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

Here is first response:

" I can get this done for you, in order to unblock port 25 there is a onetime $29 fee, however there are other things on the U-verse network blocked at the CO end that we cannot turn off, the only way around this would be to purchase a block of 8 static IP’s which would be $15 a month reoccurring."

Here is response two when I ask to not have the fee and ask about what other ports blocked

"We block port 25 by default to keep down on spam circulating our network, unfortunately I cannot unblock this port unless you pay the onetime $29 fee that would show up on your next bill.... The only other port by my knowledge that I know that is blocked is port 143 which is commonly used for Microsoft Exchange Server...."

I am sure other ports are blocked they dont know or wont tell, maybe why others have issues with media streaming ect.. but in a nut shell AT&T is greedy and dont seem to care anymore.

I asked the chat reps to show me terms or something that says port 25 is blocked and we must pay a fee to unblock and none could, said no documentation exists.

So you can make up this policy but cant show it because it does not exists, than how do you follow it?

I think I am going to just cancel. Simple things are a hassle with this company. They worry about more money but lose more customer to crappy CS than anything....

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Call direct to Tier 2 to get the unblock done.  See the 2nd message in the thread http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/static-ip-addresses/td-p/2553697 (I keep this page bookmarked) to see a direct number to Tier 2.  This is the number I called back in Dec. 2010 to get port 25 unblocked on my residential account.  All I asked for was for outgoing port 25 to be unblocked.  No hassle at all from the tech.  I would note that even after it was unblocked, I was unable to send email out.  Resolved this by emailing Tier 2 (required having my account un-provisioned and then re-provisioned).  You can read about this in the thread http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/anyone-else-trouble-with-att-connec-tech-and-port-25/m-p/2561841/highlight/true#M21551 (my message is #8).

Brian

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Any luck with those suggestions in the last post?

I cannot believe they are going to start charging for this, and are constantly steering people to PAID support!

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

13 years ago

Nope 3 people tell me same thing, 1 manager, and 2 different level two... They claim and I will quote Matt "   As of last year the company has decided that unblocking port 25 is out of Tier 2’s scope of support due to it having to do with dealing with Outlook and 3rd party applications. Again I do apologize but this is the companies standpoint, and I cannot change it or else I will be in trouble."

What the heck an unblock request has to do with apps and other steps heck if I know, I even clearly stated on phone and in chat and in email I do NOT want to troubleshoot or get help with ANYTHING, just a port unblock and I would handle reset.

"No Sir we cant, that's outside my scope." Pay the other side of the company who can do it, when whats funny is they send you back to AT&T if its ANYTHING else other than port 25 saying "sounds like a service issue" LOL... So they are "Advanced Support" but have to say I need to call AT&T. guess that confirms they are not really AT&T, just as TOS say its subcontracted and affiliated companies... Yet AT&T claims it is them.. My butt it is... Its a company you get a cut from for people using and an easy skate goat...

What happened to companies that care for customers? I understand not going way outside your scope like helping with a virus or something but even IF I wanted help using port 25 they should do it, a mom and pop shop will do anything for its customer, a big greedy company looks for more ways to make money and while doing so does not even help with what they should.

I cant wait till comcast is done here, screw it even with 250GB cap, I rather pay for 2 accounts or a business account at 2x the cost than pay a company who cares jack for its customers.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Maybe mine was easy because I already have the fixed IP package??  I just called in and asked for tier 2 support to have port 25 unblocked.  "Will you hold sir while I check on that?"... 2 minutes later it was done.  No charge or even an attempt to charge me.  What was only 2 weeks ago.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.