Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Purchase modem for Internet only Uverse

Tutor

Purchase modem for Internet only Uverse

I recently had Uverse Internet Installed. The technicial installed NVG599 modem first, but then switched it out with a HVG3801, because I dont have TV or Phone service. What modems can I purchase to use as Customer owned equipment so that I am not charged $7 monthly fee?

It suck that ATT would charge me me the same $7 monthly fee for a model that is generations old and does no support even 802.11n while 802.11ac has already been out for some time now.

Message 1 of 7
Teacher

Re: Purchase modem for Internet only Uverse

I am definitely not an authority on the subject, but from my reading, there is not a device that you are not going to pay the $7.00 rental fee.

You may as well chock it up as part part of life as it is pretty much a necessary evil we have to deal with.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
Tutor

I would call and complain that your wireless is too slow.

Message 3 of 7
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Patels
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

@Patels wrote:

I recently had Uverse Internet Installed. The technicial installed NVG599 modem first, but then switched it out with a HVG3801, because I dont have TV or Phone service. What modems can I purchase to use as Customer owned equipment so that I am not charged $7 monthly fee?

It suck that ATT would charge me me the same $7 monthly fee for a model that is generations old and does no support even 802.11n while 802.11ac has already been out for some time now.

Since you are on the VDSL 2 circuit, there was never an RG you could buy, only pay the monthly fee.

Since past January, everyone pays the fee no matter if on ADSL 2+ or VDSL 2 .   Uverse RGs are deisgned for triple play service, Uvoice, IPTV and Internet (not necessarily wireless).

Could add an 3rd party ac router behind the RG for faster wireless in the Lan. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
Employee

My questions are what type of service, copper FTTN or fiber FTTP.

Single pair copper installs for internet only should be the Pace 5031.

A 2.4 GHz b/g/n with (4) 10/100 ports that can easily support up to Max Turbo 24M.

The 3801 is 2.4 GHz b/g with (4) 10/100 ports that also supports up to 24M Max Turbo along with IPTV service.

If the tech left a 3801 suspect did not have a 5031 on truck.

The 3801 besides being TV service would also be used for internet only (up to Max Turbo) on FTTP installs with an ONT instead of a NID.

All Uverse RGs are 2.4Ghz b/g or b/g/n except for the very recently released 599/5268 which are designated for GigaPower customers (100/300/1G speeds) which would be FTTP install.

Therefore I would believe your FTTP but non GigaPower (24M or less internet) in which case the 3801 b/g that handles up to 100M would be the correct RG.

Of course you may purchase and place behind the RG any AC router you desire but your internet connection speed will not be any faster than what you are paying for.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

Uverse modem only

Does att offer a modem with out a wireless gateway ( modem only)? If so where can I buy one?
Message 6 of 7
Contributor

Bull crap on your modems, 3/4 of time we can not do anything with this useless crap
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support