Need help with your equipment?
Superapplefan1's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 10:04 PM

Phoneline help?!?

im soon getting Uverse Internet but I need to find out about a issue with my phoneline 

my dad has regular dsl from att he doesn't want to pay the higher price so I'm getting my own connection with Internet but do I need a new phoneline or can I use the old one? If I need a new one since its a new service with att can theup put in a new phoneline? Or does it cost? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Superapplefan1 - You do not need any phone line for your internet. You cannot use his. If you keep his existing POTS, the POTS & internet are two separate, unassociated services. If you change it to U-verse voice, it is an integral part of your U)verse service & no longer his.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Superapplefan1 - JUst let him use the U-verse for free. DSL is on the way out. Not allowed to have I-verse & DSL to same prem. Can have U-verse without phone or U-verse voice or POTS. Everything costs,

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

his Internet is ending may 1st  but that dosent awser my question do I need a line installed to use the Internet or how does it work?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Superapplefan1 - U-verse is provided on the drop-wire from the pole to the house. If there is an existing one it will be used of it is "good enough". If a new one is needed, a new one will be installed. A simple drop wire is the responsibility of att & installed at no cost.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry about all the questions lol 

like I said my dad has att dsl right now but he has phone at the same time do you think I would need a new line?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Superapplefan1 - By line you mean the drop cable?? THat only depends on the quality of the cable & if there is a pair available.

The DSL is a conflict. Att will not install both U-verse and DSL at the same premises. If the DSL is not att it must be removed (physically) before they will take the order. If it is att they can do it when U-verse is installed. Just call to verify billing stops.

But, you said the DSL is ending May 1. Why is it an issue?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

That's not the issue problem is going to be with the phoneline 

i have a phone line but my dad has home phondoesn't I need a phoneline just for the Internet? Or can the phoneline have both on it? It's a different bill so idk if I can use the old phone line that I used with the old dsl

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Superapplefan1 - You are defining phone line as dialtone & phone number?? You can get internet without a phone line.

If you are saying you want to keep the existing Plain Old Telephone Service for your dad, you can & it must be a separate bill.

You can change to U-verse voice (VOIP) service bundled with internet - on the same bill. You can apply the existing telno to this new service.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

All I needed to know was do I need a seperate phoneline for my Internet from my dads phonelines or could I use his for my Internet?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.