Need help with your equipment?
rrbunn's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 10:24 PM

Paying for 18mbps - significantly slower speed

Hello,

I'm seeing variable performance in my internet speed and I was hoping someone could look at the results of UV Realtime for me.

Basically all I want to do is play Modern Warfare on my xbox.  The game lags terribly though making it unbearable.  I'm not sure if UV Realtime is capable of monitoring this performance or not so I'm looking for help.

rrbunn

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You should not see variances with your speed.  It's not like cable internet where speeds slow as more subscribers add on.  Your connection is on a dedicated pair from your residence to the VRAD then it's to fiber out of the VRAD.

I also have max 18 and always pull somewhere in the 17's on my download speeds.  I have never seen anything below that. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

You should not see variances with your speed.  It's not like cable internet where speeds slow as more subscribers add on.  Your connection is on a dedicated pair from your residence to the VRAD then it's to fiber out of the VRAD.

I also have max 18 and always pull somewhere in the 17's on my download speeds.  I have never seen anything below that. 

Fairly similar to Beebee's speeds.  I upgraded to 18, from 12 about 2 months ago and usually pull in  low to mid 17's, regardless of time of day.  I had Comcast HSI from about 2002-2008.  I paid for 6 and got pretty close to it, except from about 4 PM - 1 AM, when the other uses in my :"hood" started surfing.  Haven't noticed any slow down during peak hours.

I'm also interested in how the various speed test sites, work or don't work and may have to do some "research.'  I may have to get somne beers in me, first.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

IP.pngError.pngBit.pngScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 4.13.37 PM.png

4 Attachments

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Is that download speed test wired or wireless?  If wireless try a wired speed test and compare.  You could be getting interference/congestion on your wireless connection.

Your UVRT stats look good so it's not that. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for taking a look at this.  The download speed is wired, same computer as the UV stats.

I'm running UV on VM Fusion - would this create any issues?  Also, the internet speed varies significantly throughout the day - when does UV actual track performance?  Is it continually monitoring, or simply running when its opened?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

At 10AM today I ran speedtest and hit 17Mbps.  It's now 6PM, I ran speedtest again (wired) and got this result:

Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 6.13.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 6.14.42 PM.png

Not sure if this interfaces is helpful or not.  All of the other UV data looks the same as earlier today.

2 Attachments

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The Interfaces tab means nothing. As for using speedtest.net. stop, worst speed test site out there. A better one is http://www.testmy.net .

And again, are you testing through a wired or wireless connection. You mentioned UV through VM Fusion what ever that means. If running speed tests through a Virtual machine, you are always going to get whacked out speed test results.

What operating system are you using on this computer, and are you connecting to the gateway through a wired or wireless connection? If Wireless-G, you will get a lower result of possibly 5mbps, compared to if you run a test through a Wireless-N. The same can hold true with 100meg connection to the RG, of about 2-3meg if you are not connected through a 1000meg switch. It is just the nature of the beast.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Wait ... the Interfaces tab is very significant in this case. Your upload bandwidth is saturated. What do you have running on your network that is using all of your upload bandwidth? Online backup application? Bittorrent?

If the upload bandwidth is saturated, the 2Wire routers perform poorly on downloads. You need to find whatever application is running on one of your computers that is using all the upload bandwidth and turn it off or schedule it for the middle of the night when you aren't using the Internet.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
The Interfaces tab means nothing. As for using speedtest.net. stop, worst speed test site out there. A better one is http://www.testmy.net .

And again, are you testing through a wired or wireless connection. You mentioned UV through VM Fusion what ever that means. If running speed tests through a Virtual machine, you are always going to get whacked out speed test results.

What operating system are you using on this computer, and are you connecting to the gateway through a wired or wireless connection? If Wireless-G, you will get a lower result of possibly 5mbps, compared to if you run a test through a Wireless-N. The same can hold true with 100meg connection to the RG, of about 2-3meg if you are not connected through a 1000meg switch. It is just the nature of the beast.

I've never had an issue with speedtest.net.  When I test my speed, I use multiple sites for comparison, speedtest.net, speakeasy.net and att's speedtest.  I just compared your site with speedtest and speak easy and they were all within .01mbps of each other.  I'm using wireless, have 12Mbps and I'm getting 11.43 down and 1.47 up.  No complaints.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you compare Speedtest.net to Speakeasy's new test, and testmy.net, you will find that speedtest.net comes out dead last in worst speed test results.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.