Paying for 18mbps - significantly slower speed

Teacher

Paying for 18mbps - significantly slower speed

Hello,

I'm seeing variable performance in my internet speed and I was hoping someone could look at the results of UV Realtime for me.

Basically all I want to do is play Modern Warfare on my xbox.  The game lags terribly though making it unbearable.  I'm not sure if UV Realtime is capable of monitoring this performance or not so I'm looking for help.

rrbunn

Message 1 of 28 (11,068 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Paying for 18mbps - significantly slower speed

Message 2 of 28 (11,037 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Is that download speed test wired or wireless?  If wireless try a wired speed test and compare.  You could be getting interference/congestion on your wireless connection.

Your UVRT stats look good so it's not that. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 28 (11,019 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for taking a look at this.  The download speed is wired, same computer as the UV stats.

I'm running UV on VM Fusion - would this create any issues?  Also, the internet speed varies significantly throughout the day - when does UV actual track performance?  Is it continually monitoring, or simply running when its opened?

Message 4 of 28 (10,995 Views)
Teacher

At 10AM today I ran speedtest and hit 17Mbps.  It's now 6PM, I ran speedtest again (wired) and got this result:

Not sure if this interfaces is helpful or not.  All of the other UV data looks the same as earlier today.

Message 5 of 28 (10,993 Views)
Professor

The Interfaces tab means nothing. As for using speedtest.net. stop, worst speed test site out there. A better one is http://www.testmy.net .

And again, are you testing through a wired or wireless connection. You mentioned UV through VM Fusion what ever that means. If running speed tests through a Virtual machine, you are always going to get whacked out speed test results.

What operating system are you using on this computer, and are you connecting to the gateway through a wired or wireless connection? If Wireless-G, you will get a lower result of possibly 5mbps, compared to if you run a test through a Wireless-N. The same can hold true with 100meg connection to the RG, of about 2-3meg if you are not connected through a 1000meg switch. It is just the nature of the beast.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Wait ... the Interfaces tab is very significant in this case. Your upload bandwidth is saturated. What do you have running on your network that is using all of your upload bandwidth? Online backup application? Bittorrent?

If the upload bandwidth is saturated, the 2Wire routers perform poorly on downloads. You need to find whatever application is running on one of your computers that is using all the upload bandwidth and turn it off or schedule it for the middle of the night when you aren't using the Internet.
Message 7 of 28 (10,967 Views)

gregzoll_1 wrote:
The Interfaces tab means nothing. As for using speedtest.net. stop, worst speed test site out there. A better one is http://www.testmy.net .

And again, are you testing through a wired or wireless connection. You mentioned UV through VM Fusion what ever that means. If running speed tests through a Virtual machine, you are always going to get whacked out speed test results.

What operating system are you using on this computer, and are you connecting to the gateway through a wired or wireless connection? If Wireless-G, you will get a lower result of possibly 5mbps, compared to if you run a test through a Wireless-N. The same can hold true with 100meg connection to the RG, of about 2-3meg if you are not connected through a 1000meg switch. It is just the nature of the beast.

I've never had an issue with speedtest.net.  When I test my speed, I use multiple sites for comparison, speedtest.net, speakeasy.net and att's speedtest.  I just compared your site with speedtest and speak easy and they were all within .01mbps of each other.  I'm using wireless, have 12Mbps and I'm getting 11.43 down and 1.47 up.  No complaints.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 28 (10,931 Views)
Professor

If you compare Speedtest.net to Speakeasy's new test, and testmy.net, you will find that speedtest.net comes out dead last in worst speed test results.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Thanks for the input.

I am using a wired connection for both my computer and xbox.

I ran the speedtest through Chrome using my Mac (OS X).  The UV stats are from me running UV on my Windows 7 virtual machine (VM Fusion).  Not sure if this matters or not.

I ran testmy.net this morning:

I don't do bittorrent or other sharing programs, or an online backup program.  I'll try to see if there's anything running in the background that I'm unaware of.

I don't really do anything that should require 18Mbps - if this variance is just due to other people using UVerse around me I'd just rather pay less I guess.

Message 10 of 28 (10,896 Views)
ACE - Master

I like what SJ7777 is saying.  Look below at the Internet VDSL line stats.  Your way up there on your upload usage.  Something on your network is uploading a ton of stuff.  Maybe try taking everything (unplugging) off the network except your computer and see if that helps.  Disconnect the wireless devices too.  Check it again and see if you get the same behavior.

Have you also checked to make sure no one has hacked into your wireless signal?  Go in and change the password on this page under the security settings: http://home/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 28 (10,886 Views)
Professor

Yes it does matter what you run the speed tests through. Virtual machines will mess up the results. Again, run the test in your actual operating system, not some Virtual machine.

Thanks BeeBee, I will try this later this afternoon.  

Message 13 of 28 (10,864 Views)
Teacher

Hi Greg,

I'm running the speed tests through the actual operating system (all of the speed test images are through Chrome on OS X).  My question is with UV - since there is not a Mac version I have to run this through the virtual machine.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

gregzoll_1 wrote:
Yes it does matter what you run the speed tests through. Virtual machines will mess up the results. Again, run the test in your actual operating system, not some Virtual machine.

Message 14 of 28 (10,862 Views)
Teacher

Final question for everyone and I'll stop posting -

What level of performance variance should I expect to see based on the network usage of other individuals?  During peak times is it reasonable for me to see download speeds below 5 Mbps, or is a 18Mbps connection speed supposed to perform at 18Mbps throughout the day?

Thanks for all of your help.

Message 15 of 28 (10,858 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.