Need help with your equipment?
geegecko's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 3:45 PM

Outbound Outlook SMTP access for non-att.net email account

New U-verse customer trying to use SMTP authenication to send email from my non ATT.net email account.

No issues with the att.net email acount using an encrypted connection.

Can I not make a port 25 connection to the non-att mail server?

Feedback appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

That is correct, AT&T blocks outbound port 25 to any mail server except their own for spam/malware control.

Your other provider who is providing that e-mail account should provide authenticated and optionally encrypted SMTP services on port 465 or 587, see their support for details.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The other provider's SMTP service is alson listening on port 1025 and it is not blocked, at the moment...

Do you know of other ports that are filtered?

The tier 2 support tech I spoke to swore they were not blocking port 25. Said it was an Outlook problem and referred to Connectech. Yeah... right.

Thanks again for the response.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

When I set up my mail server on Uverse, I called support and requested port 25 be unblocked. That was about 6 mo's ago.  It took a little convincing, but it was done.  Took maybe 15 minutes of talking.  Have things changed?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

They used to unblock port 25 for you upon request, but they won't anymore. They will still do it, but you have to go through ConnectTech now and pay a $25 charge.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

That the way ATT makes money, huh? I spent half an hour explain and they tried to get me sign up for pay support!

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
They used to unblock port 25 for you upon request, but they won't anymore. They will still do it, but you have to go through ConnectTech now and pay a $25 charge.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The fee is now 49.95 and has to be the biggest rip off.  You pay good money to have ATT U-Verse service and then are told that they restrict your use of outbound mail unless you pay a fee for them to fix it.  It took some digging to find this out but intitially they said it was a issue with Outlook,  The real issue is they block port 25 - nothing to do woth outlook. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

yes - this is absolute fraud - please contact me [Edited to comply with Guidelines] In the case of everyone I have spoken to, they fraudulently say they support it, and then the attempt to extort $50 or $15 per month. This is clearly fraud. The second step is going after the claims of customers who spend multiple hours on the phno to get this information.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

it is clearly extortion[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

- the extorsion was at first $10, then $25, now $50 (actually, 49.95)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.