Need help with your equipment?
rudedog71's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 7:56 PM

Opening port on DMZ router behind RG

Hello all...just switched to Uverse from cable last week and so far everything is great...except for one small problem I hope someone on this forum can help me with.

With help from other posts, I've setup the RG(3801) to DMZplus my Buffalo Wireless N router (192.168.2.1).  Only the STBs and phone service are on the RG subnet.  All of our pc's and gigabit home lan use the DHCP service from the BWN router and it seems to work well with openDNS, game consoles and our NAS for streaming video.

The only problem I have is with a single Win7 pc that uses a static IP address (192.168.2.99) for uTorrent.  I've setup the port forwarding rule in my BWN router to open a specific port so uT can connect but nothing.  I've tried turning off the win7 firewall, but still no connection.

I connected the pc directly to the RG (using 192.168.1.99) and I setup a rule in the RG firewall and uT connects fine...but I really need this pc inside the home lan subnet (192.168.2.x).

I also tried the BWN router behind the RG as a LAN-LAN connection, and uT connected fine with the same RG firewall rule, but then openDNS did not work on all the other pc's getting DHCP from the RG.

So I prefer to have the RG and DMZ'd BWN router back on different subnets but I'm really stumped why the port fwd rule on the BWN router doesnt work and allow uT to connect.

Because of the static IP in the DMZ'd router behind the RG...is there something else I need to setup/configure?  Or is this a double NAT limitation of the RG and BWN router setup?

I've done a few searches on this board for similiar problem, but no joy, so I apologize if this has been covered already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thx guys, I tried with a Netgeat router and same result.

But then I noticed I hadnt restarted the router AFTER setting DMZplus mode on the RG...and guess what?

It works..except not with a specifc port...I had to enable uPNP on client and router and now uTorrent is connectable.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

Not sure about uTorrent specifically but are you sure you have the correct port types (UDP or TCP or both). As well, some programs will require a range of ports or multiple non consecutive ports. Also make sure that the static IP your using on the torrent machine is outside of the DHCP pool on the Buffalo. In other words if your DHCP pool is 2.1-2.100 your 2.99 IP might be messing it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thx Computer-Joe...yes, I've confirmed my BWN router has a DHCP range of 192.168.2.100 / 15 and my static ip is 192.168.2.99...so I should be ok there.

Also, the port I am trying to open/forward is for both TCP/UDP.

Any other ideas?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

ok i will try to explain my setup .. I have a dd-wrt v23 sp2  linksys wrt54g/gl/gs and the stupid RG

when i got the RG i was confused after 1 week of BS i finally understand what u have to do... When u get the RG you should get a 4 or 8 port hub in my case i had one. IT took me some time to relize all i had to do was plug the RG into the Wan of the linksys and set the ip back to what every address u preferr and only plug  into the RG the device u dont care if you reach or not like my computer in sons room which i dont remote to everyday ... and plug all you other stuff into your old router and hub just the way it was before. Make sure u dmz plus the address of the linkys in the RG and u should be good again. i now see my ip again in the linksys and my DDNS is back and working with DynDNS.org once again. Amost forgot to add i am running ubunto 10.4 and qbittorent with any problems.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

A few more things.

Is this your only WIN7 box? If it is, turn off "Homegroup".

Also try turning off UPnP on the WIN7 box. There might be a conflict between WIN7 and the Buffalo trying to open the same port at the same time.

On the other hand, you could try turning on UPnP on the WIN7 box and taking out the port rule in the Buffalo and see where that gets you.

If the Buffalo has a UPnP enable/disable setting, make sure that coincides with your WIN7 box.

Did you have this configuration working previously:  cable modem -----> Buffalo -----> Win7/uTorrent

What exact buffalo model do you have? I could check the documentation for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

A few more things.

Is this your only WIN7 box? If it is, turn off "Homegroup".

No...but Homegroup is already off.

@Computer-Joe wrote:

Also try turning off UPnP on the WIN7 box. There might be a conflict between WIN7 and the Buffalo trying to open the same port at the same time.

Good thinking...unfortunatley, I tried it with UPNP off( on all devices), uPNP on (and router rule disabled)..but still nothing.

@Computer-Joe wrote:

A few more things.

Did you have this configuration working previously:  cable modem -----> Buffalo -----> Win7/uTorrent

Yes,...prior to Uverse install...my Buffalo router was connected to a Scientific Atlantic cable modem for Time warner and my port forward rules worked fine.

@Computer-Joe wrote:

A few more things.

What exact buffalo model do you have? I could check the documentation for you.

I have a WZR-HP-G300NH...do u think it could be a limitation on the Buffalo router side?  I've been thinking about upgrading to a dual-band router like the Netgear WNDR3700.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Go into the RG's interface, go to Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation.

Find the device that corresponds to your BWN router.  Ensure the Firewall pull-down menu is set to Disabled.

If this is set correctly, then there is something wrong with the firewall configuration on the BWN.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Go into the RG's interface, go to Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation.

Find the device that corresponds to your BWN router.  Ensure the Firewall pull-down menu is set to Disabled.

Would that acomplish something different than DMZing the Buffalo, as I beleive the OP has already tried DMZing the buffalo.

If this is set correctly, then there is something wrong with the firewall configuration on the BWN.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

It's just something minor to check.  If the router is DMZed properly I don't think it makes a difference, but it couldn't hurt to check.

I think the problem's on the BWN router.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@rudedog71 wrote:

I have a WZR-HP-G300NH...do u think it could be a limitation on the Buffalo router side?  I've been thinking about upgrading to a dual-band router like the Netgear WNDR3700.

Well the user manual really is nothing more than a quick start guide (I'm DLing the CD) but one thing I noticed that might be an issue is the mode switch on the back (on-off-auto), try setting that to "on" if you have not yet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.