Need help with your equipment?
birds4u's profile

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

Thursday, February 24th, 2011 8:04 PM

New Wireless Desktop Can't Connect

I inherited a Windows XP desktop with a Linksys Wireless-B PCI Adapter.  I cannot connect to the internet. The desktop can see the Network (2WireXXX). I got the network to work once by allowing Windows to "Repair Wireless Network Connection"  but I lost the network when I had to reboot the desktop.  That no longer works. I don’t know what I’m doing and don’t have manuals for the PCi Adapter. A wireless laptop works fine. Can anyone help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

You probably got on when you changed the RG to WEP and since b and g both broadcast but that is not safe keep

WPA2 and get a new card from Netgear,Linksys or D-Link.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

More Details. When I use "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP"  I get "The  wireless network security setting on this computer do not match the setting on the router or access point." I've entered WPA-PSK and TKIP and got the same message. I am also viewing the Linksys WLAN Monitor windows and noticed my SSID keeps disappearing and when it is there the signal strength is 44%. My neighbor's 2WIRE network is always in the window even though it has a much lower signal strength. Any suggestions?

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

You changed the security settings (WPA) on your computer or the UV RG?  Both should match exactly.

You may need to try another channel, one that is being less-used in your 'hood.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

On that same page link, make sure Wi-Fi Protected Setup is DISABLED.  Be sure to hit Save.

Try downloading inSSIDer and see where your neighbors are, and take a look at your signal strength.

We'll take it from there. Smiley Wink

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for replying. My UV RG Wireless Security is Enabled. Authentication type: WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES). On the desktop, my wireless Networks property for my 2WIRE  has  Network Authentication WPA-PSK and Data Encryption: TKIP. There is not an option for WPA2-PSK.   I'm confused why you suggested to change my UV RG  Wi-Fi Protected Setup to DISABLED.  Is it possible my PCI Adapter is so old it won't accept new protocols? I've tried connecting through the Linksys WLAN Monitor and it asks for WEP 64 bits or 128 bits.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

The Wi-Fi Protected Setup doesn't make anything more secure, and some have stated it causes connection issues.

Try looking for updated drivers for the wireless adapter, and for Win XP.  If you can find them, it will most likely allow the WPA2 setting. 

With the Linksys WAN Monitor, try disabling it completely and just let Windows handle the connection.

See if you can connect using WEP-Open (less secure) temporarily. 

Did you have any luck with inSSIDer and seeing neighbors using the same channel?  Overlapping signals with yours?

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

What is the model no of the Linksys most things made in the last 4 years should be WPA2 compatible. IF not

i would not suggest going the WEP route thats about as good as turning security off. WPA has been cracked also

but it is harder so far WPA2 to my knowledge has not.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

That's why I said WEP temporarily, just as a test to see if he could connect.

When I was using XP, I was able to update drivers for the internal laptop card to get WPA2.

And agree, I wouldn't use anything less than WPA2!

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

My PCI adapter has the latest drivers but as I said, I inherited this desktop and as far as I can tell the PCI adapter is from 2003.  It is a Lynksys Wireless-B PCi Adapter Model WMP11. INSSIDER shows no one in my area is using the same channel as I am.  INSSIDER showed my privacy is sat at WPA-TKIP but when the desktop finds the network it says it is WPA2. I don't know where it is getting the WPA2.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

@birds4u wrote:

My PCI adapter has the latest drivers but as I said, I inherited this desktop and as far as I can tell the PCI adapter is from 2003.  It is a Lynksys Wireless-B PCi Adapter Model WMP11. INSSIDER shows no one in my area is using the same channel as I am.  INSSIDER showed my privacy is sat at WPA-TKIP but when the desktop finds the network it says it is WPA2. I don't know where it is getting the WPA2.

Just looked at the specs and the card is to old it is b only and you really should look at a bg/n card and the second part some have been successful with a hack for WPA and some not short answer buy a more up to date

card or wire the connection. http://www.superwarehouse.com/Linksys_Wireless-B_PCI_Network_Adapter/WMP11/ps/55519

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks, I've come to the same conclusion. It was frustrating that I got connected initially, downloaded XP updates, rebooted and was never able to get connected again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.