Need help with your equipment?
cory_jackson's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 11:35 PM

Need help with NVG510 Static IP setup steps

I’ve had a static ADSL account with ATT and am being moved to U-Verse Business with 8 static IPs. I have a home office with a Windows Small Business Server 2008 running the normal roles including an Exchange mail server. I know how to set up a normal DSL with a single static IP address but I’m baffled by the setup options in the integrated device NVG510. What’s more there appears to be no manual available for this device anywhere. I asked the very friendly install tech and he has not received any training on how to do anything but a standard home install. He had some setup guides for a 2-Wire which I had also seen online which were the kind of steps I was expecting but there appears to be nothing similar in the NVG510. I called tier 2 support and after an extended time on hold while the tech spoke to his manager I got the same story. They were all completely clueless. Can someone give me some general advice as to a best practice and also possibly some details steps? Or perhaps someone can point me to the manual.

A couple of things I have noted is that the cascade router looks like it might be the trick but I’m still have no idea how that would work for more than one IP. Also would this mean that all the features like the wireless would not be able to connect ot the private network behind the router? One thing I really don’t want is the DHCP server. SBS 2008 has a very nice one where I can do reservations and special settings so I don’t want the extremely limited NVG510 server. And SBS gets very upset if there’s another DHCP server on the network but I can’t find ANY real option to disable it in a way that will avoid SBS from detecting it on the network.

Thanks in advance!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

I don't have one of these, but looking at screenshots of the interface this is what I'd try.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Motorola/NVG510/

Go to the "Broadband" tab, then the "Status" tab. If the modem is connected take note of the "Public IP" (should be the 7th address in your block of 😎 and "Public Subnet Mask" and "Gateway" addresses.

Go to the "Home Network" tab, then "Subnets and DHCP" tab. This is where you will enter your "Public" IPs.

In the "Public Subnet" section, set "Public Subnet Enable" to "On".

In the "Public IPv4 Network" enter the first (lowest) address in your block of 8.

In the "Public Subnet Mask" section, enter info from first step.

In the "DHCPv4 Start Address" section, enter the second address from your block of 8.

In the "DHCPv4 End Address" section, enter the sixth address from your block of 8.

Set your lease time (Sometimes all zeros mean indefinite or permanent lease).

Set the primary DHCP to private.

Do a save (and probably restart).

Now go to your server set it's IP to static and enter the address you entered in "DHCPv4 Start Address" step and "Public Subnet Mask" and "Gateway" from the first step. Use your preferred DNS or leave blank and it should pick up the same ones the modem uses.

Now this method would negate the SBS as DHCP server, but should keep the rest of your network intact (wired/wireless).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

How would the rest of the machines access the server then?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@cory_jackson wrote:

How would the rest of the machines access the server then?

You could use it's Public IP or it's name if it's registered in DNS.

You could also drop another NIC into it, plug it into the router and let it pick up a private IP for LAN use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Yes, aTT are the worst help for just about anything.. did you ever get it to work. I am in the same boat..

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

here is how to set static ip on nvg510:

-connect the nvg510 to a computer via ethernet cable.

1. Launch a browser window and navigate to IP address 192.168.1.254.

2. Click on the Home Network link, then click the subheading Subnets & DHCP.
  3. Enter the system password, if prompted. The device access code (system password) is a 10-digit code found on the yellow label on the side of the RG. If the customer has changed their password, it needs to be retrieved from the customer and entered into this box. 
  4. Under Public Subnet heading, toggle the Public Subnet Enable from Off to On.
    Note: It is necessary to choose either Public or Private IPs. The two selections cannot be mixed. 
  5. In the Public IPv4 address field, enter the router address of the public static block. This is the second from the last IP address in the IP block.
  6. In the Subnet Mask field, enter the subnet mask from the subnet mask table
  7. Enter in the first usable IP address and the last usable IP address in the DHCPv4 Start Address Field and the DHCPv4 End Address Field appropriately (last usable is gonna be 3rd from the last ip address in the ip block.
  8. In the Primary DHCP Pool section, click on the radio button labeled Public.
  9. Click Save
  10. go to computers tcp/ip properties n hard code the ip address on each device. 

I am an att uverse t2 tech support agent and this worked when i did it

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

btw under 7. the first usable ip address is the second one from the ip block. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Acaglumac:

Can you clarify the following please, and forgive my ignorance?

1.  In the Public IPv4 address field, enter the router address of the public static block. This is the second from the last IP address in the IP block.  Second from the last IP address where?

6.  In the Subnet Mask field, enter the subnet mask from the subnet mask table. The hyperlink doesn't work

10.  go to computers tcp/ip properties n hard code the ip address on each device.   Where do I do that?

I played around, but I think I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Cj962 wrote:

Acaglumac:

Can you clarify the following please, and forgive my ignorance?

1.  In the Public IPv4 address field, enter the router address of the public static block. This is the second from the last IP address in the IP block.  Second from the last IP address where?
You should have been given a list of 8 static IP addresses from AT&T.  The seventh one goes here.

6.  In the Subnet Mask field, enter the subnet mask from the subnet mask table. The hyperlink doesn't work

It should be 255.255.255.252 for a block of 8 addresses.

10.  go to computers tcp/ip properties n hard code the ip address on each device.   Where do I do that?

I played around, but I think I'm missing something.

You go to each computer that is supposed to get a static IP address, go to the interface properties, uncheck where it says to obtain it automatically (i.e. via DHCP) and put one of the static address from the list in here.  Also provide the subnet mask from above.

Thanks in advance.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

It should be 255.255.255.252 for a block of 8 addresses.

255.255.255.248 for a block of 8.

255.255.255.252 is a block of 4 (only two usable), used only for point-to-point links.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks.  I've always been awful at IP addressing.

I figured it out about an hour after posting yesterday.  I went to Firewall-->IP Passthrough, set the Allocation Mode to Passthrough, set the Passthrough Mode to DHCP, put in the MAC address of the device, and set the lease for 1 day. 

That got my NetTalk device to be seen.  It seems no matter what your network is set at, the device picks up another.  For example, my home network starting and ending addresses aer 192.168.1.X, while the NetTalk device is 192.168.2.2.  When I changed my home network to 192.168.2.X, the NetTalk device self-configured to 192.168.1.2.

Odd.

Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.