Need help with your equipment?
mestizas's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, August 18th, 2016 2:29 AM

Need help configuring an Apple Airport Extreme with Pace 5268AC

I recently signed up for U-Verse Gigapower and have the Pace 5268AC gateway.  I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. I want to configure the AE in bridge mode and use the AE wireless and disable the wireless on the 5268, but let it do DHCP.  The goal is to create a single network whether connectivity is via Ethernet or wireless.  I tried this past weekend to get that to work with no success. I could get Ethernet via the 5268 to work, but could not get the AE wireless to stay up and allow endpoints to connect.

I finally resorted to cabling from the WAN interface on the AE to the LAN interface on the 5268. I enabled DHCP + NAT on the AE, disabled wireless on the 5268 and used the DMZ Plus mode on the 5268 to allow traffic to the AE. Connectivity is now solid for both Ethernet and wireless and speed is awesome. 

The only issue I have is I now have effectively two networks. The 192.168.1.x wired network that is served by the 5268 when I plug things in via Ethernet and a 10.0.1.x wireless network when devices connect wirelessly.  This normally wouldnt be a big deal, but now I have some devices wired (I have Ethernet drops in each room of the house that go to a Gigabit switch in the garage) on one network and some wireless on another and now things like Sonos, Plex, and potentially other services are not able to connect.

I want to go back and re-try the originally attempted configuration where the AE is simply a passthru and provides the wireless connectivity in the home and everything whether wired or not is on the same network.  Any suggestions on the steps to configure this way?  Would this be the correct configuration on both devices to try?

5268AC

- Connect an Ethernet cable from LAN interface to LAN interface on AE

- Disable wireless

- What else am I missing? Do I need to do anything with DMZ Plus, etc?

AE

- Configure Network > Router mode to 'Off / Bridge mode'

- What should I set for Internet settings (connect via DHCP?, what about IPV6?)

- Any other settings I am missing?

Also, is there a certain ordering sequence that the config should be performed?  I burned the whole weekend trying to get my original configuration to work.  I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Bob,

I am having similar issues and I want to check in to see if you have had any further issues with Uverse disconnecting after setting the Airport Extreme as your primary wifi source?

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @jpzelasko,

Have you disabled the wireless on the U-verse gateway? If not, go ahead and do so, as there might be interference between the 2 devices. Since the Wifi is going through your AE, you do not need the U-verse gateway to broadcast the Wifi.

-ATTU-verseCare

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

I have a very similar configuration except I use the AE as my router (wired and wireless) and the gateway has my router on the DMZ plus list with no firewall. I'm having major issues with my Xbox and iOS devices. XBox interface is really slow to load. I've had to add portforwarding entries for the xBox which I didn't have to do with Comcast. But it is still not quite right. Internet pages on my iPad load in a patchwork of pieces and some images don't ever load. I was able to adjust my laptops to max MTU of 1472 and now pages load as expected. I'm guessing that the MTU is the issue, but you can't adjust MTU on iOS devices or the Xbox one. My AE is the exact same router I used with Comcast, so I'm certain the issue is with the gateway config. What can I do?

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

Do you have the same issue when connecting directly to the U-verse gateway. If not, then it may be an issue with the configuration of the AE. If so, you can try making adjustments on the U-verse gateway, such as changing the MTU.

-ATTU-verseCare

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

If you had to change your MTU, then that points to you using IPv6, which AT&T U-verse implements via tunneling (reducing the MTU available).  You might want to turn off IPv6.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

Ok. So after much testing and lost sleep, disabling IPV6 solved ..well..everything. So now the question is how to configure the AirPort Extreme to work with IPv6 . If AT&T implements via tunneling, does that mean I must configure the 4 IPv6 fields in the AES? Where do I get that info?

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

The Uverse gateway is new territory for me, but the IPv6 mTu is reduced to accommodate the IPv6 implementation. It can't be raised. I am fairly certain now that I just need the right IPv6 addresses for the tunneling and dns.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

You would need to configure your AES to hand out the smaller MTU to its clients.  Or you can turn off IPv6 support in the U-verse Gateway and the AES (unless you need IPv6 support at present for some reason).

IPv6 only allows the end nodes to fragment packets, so if the client or host uses an MTU that's too big for the tunnel, the packet gets dropped.  If your AES doesn't tell its clients to use an MTU (which it should do at DHCP request) that will fit through the tunnel, then the client is going to use the default MTU, which won't fit in the payload of a packet (which includes the header and the payload) of a IP6in4 packet which is that same size (based on MTU).

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

So if I would like IPv6 to work through my AES, does anyone know which values I copy from the Gateway into my AES fields?

IPv6 WAN Address:

IPv6 Default Route:

Remote IPv4 Address:

IPv6 Delegated Prefix

IPv6 LAN Address.

I can't seem to find a simple guide on this anywhere in AT&T's forums.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Bob, you said " 

Re: Need help configuring an Apple Airport Extreme with Pace 5268AC

That worked! Connecting my Airport Extreme to the 5268AC directly without going through a switch seems to have fixed the performance issues.  I now have the AE in bridge mode, gave the AE a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range of the 5268AC and things are dandy as far as speed and connectivity.  Only been an hour or so, but looking good so far.

Thanks!

Bob, you said "

That worked! Connecting my Airport Extreme to the 5268AC directly without going through a switch seems to have fixed the performance issues.  I now have the AE in bridge mode, gave the AE a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range of the 5268AC and things are dandy as far as speed and connectivity.  Only been an hour or so, but looking good so far.

Thanks!

Bob

Was this helpful?

11 of 20

Thanks!

Bob, When you say you assigned the AE a static IP address outside the range of the 5268AC, what does that mean? I know how to assign a static IP address on the AE, but if it's outside the range of the 5268AC (192.168.1.64 thru 192.168.1.254), will the gateway still connect with the AE? 

Thank you, and I hope this setup works for me, too.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.