Need help with your equipment?
mestizas's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, August 18th, 2016 2:29 AM

Need help configuring an Apple Airport Extreme with Pace 5268AC

I recently signed up for U-Verse Gigapower and have the Pace 5268AC gateway.  I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. I want to configure the AE in bridge mode and use the AE wireless and disable the wireless on the 5268, but let it do DHCP.  The goal is to create a single network whether connectivity is via Ethernet or wireless.  I tried this past weekend to get that to work with no success. I could get Ethernet via the 5268 to work, but could not get the AE wireless to stay up and allow endpoints to connect.

I finally resorted to cabling from the WAN interface on the AE to the LAN interface on the 5268. I enabled DHCP + NAT on the AE, disabled wireless on the 5268 and used the DMZ Plus mode on the 5268 to allow traffic to the AE. Connectivity is now solid for both Ethernet and wireless and speed is awesome. 

The only issue I have is I now have effectively two networks. The 192.168.1.x wired network that is served by the 5268 when I plug things in via Ethernet and a 10.0.1.x wireless network when devices connect wirelessly.  This normally wouldnt be a big deal, but now I have some devices wired (I have Ethernet drops in each room of the house that go to a Gigabit switch in the garage) on one network and some wireless on another and now things like Sonos, Plex, and potentially other services are not able to connect.

I want to go back and re-try the originally attempted configuration where the AE is simply a passthru and provides the wireless connectivity in the home and everything whether wired or not is on the same network.  Any suggestions on the steps to configure this way?  Would this be the correct configuration on both devices to try?

5268AC

- Connect an Ethernet cable from LAN interface to LAN interface on AE

- Disable wireless

- What else am I missing? Do I need to do anything with DMZ Plus, etc?

AE

- Configure Network > Router mode to 'Off / Bridge mode'

- What should I set for Internet settings (connect via DHCP?, what about IPV6?)

- Any other settings I am missing?

Also, is there a certain ordering sequence that the config should be performed?  I burned the whole weekend trying to get my original configuration to work.  I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @mestizas,

Use the previous steps with Internet > 5268 AC Gateway (LAN Interface) > Airport Extreme (LAN interface) without the gigaswitch to see if that corrects the performance issue.

-ATTU-verseCare

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @mestizas,

We are sorry about the issues, but we will be glad to help. There may be too much activity for the U-verse gateway and that is why the connection is dropping. The gateway was made for internet support but not to operate an internal home network. Try testing without the Apple Airport Extreme to see if you are having the same issue.

The best thing you can do is to move all your non-U-verse equipment to your Apple Airport, so that the wired and wireless connections are on the same network.

Hope this helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your response ATTCares.  Given the current configuration I shared, what would it take to move all non U-Verse equiment to my Apple Airport extreme?

Would this start by changing the cabling from the WAN interface over to the LAN interface?  So the new config would look like this?

Internet > 5268 AC Gateway (LAN Interface) > Airport Extreme (LAN interface) via Gigabit Ethernet Switch

As I explained earlier, my current cabling is from the WAN interface on the AE to the LAN interface on the 5268 and everything is working fine, but I now have 2 networks.

For the AE config, would I then need to change it from DHCP + NAT to Off / Bridge Mode?  And what about the setting on the 5268?  Do I remove the DMZ Plus configuration I have in place for my 5268?  Here is a photo of the current 5268 cabling.

The blue cable goes to a LAN port on the GigE switch and the yellow cable comes directly from the broadband link. The Airport Extreme is then connected via the LAN interface to an Ethernet jack that goes to the switch in the garage.

IMG_9091.jpg5268 AC cabling in garage 

Please advise.  I want to make sure I have this right before I start changing things.

Thanks!

Bob

1 Attachment

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @mestizas,

Here are steps to take to configure your setup:

1. First, have the 5268AC router connect via Ethernet (LAN) to the AE Ethernet (LAN)
  2. You will want to configure AE for bridge mode and assign a static IP address and this is best accomplished using an IP outside of the DHCP range of the 5268AC.
  3. 5268AC can serve DHCP and you can disable the Wi-Fi access point on the 5268AC
  4. We recommend having all U-verse equipment connect back through the 5268AC directly for U-verse network functions and all internet data devices can connect through the AE Ethernet and Wi-FI access point.
  5. Disable the DMZ Plus to allow the 5268AC firewall to provide security for all devices

That should provide a good setup and let us know if any additional questions.

regards,

ATTU-verseCare

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I spoke too soon.  My wifi performance has plummeted from 400+ Mbps to 1Mbps.  I went ahead and went back to the origibal configuration I had before until I have time to troubleshoot further.

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

8 years ago

Let us know how it goes. Also, we understand that your current setup creates 2 networks. Is there any reason why everything cannot just be put behind your AE? You would still have 2 networks but everything would operate under your AE and the U-verse Gateway network would have nothing on it besides the AE.

-ATTU-verseCare

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I have no problem putting everything behind my AE.  The question is how do I do this given my configuration I shared in this thread?  I tried your steps previously and had the performance issues.  To re-iterate, here is my current physical setup:

Internet > 5268 AC Gateway (LAN Interface) > Airport Extreme (LAN interface) via Gigabit Ethernet Switch 

For the above setup, both the 5268AC and gigabit switch are in the garage.  The AE is in the house and connected via ethernet to the wall, which goes to the gigabit switch.

If you have specific steps to get everything behind my AE, I wouild love to try.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

@ATTCares would it make a difference if I changed the Airport Extreme (via WAN port) in the house to directly connect to the 5268AC (LAN port) in the garage without going through the switch (in the garage) that is connecting all wired devices in the house, including U-VERSE DVR boxes?

Please confirm and I could give that a shot.  Also, what would the configuration then be for that setup?  Does that change anything?

I am stuck right now with a two network configuration.  One is the 192.168.1.x that the 5268AC is serving up via the wored interface and the other is the 192.168.2.x that the Airport Extreme is serving up via devices that connect via wifi.  

Speed and connectivity and is great with the current setup, but now my Sonos, Plex, and Survelliance Cameras don't work remotely.  I need to fix this as soon as possible.

Thx

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, that would make a big difference.

You do not want your Wireless Router (or access point) attached to the same port (through a switch) as any U-verse IPTV equipment.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

That worked! Connecting my Airport Extreme to the 5268AC directly without going through a switch seems to have fixed the performance issues.  I now have the AE in bridge mode, gave the AE a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range of the 5268AC and things are dandy as far as speed and connectivity.  Only been an hour or so, but looking good so far.

Thanks!

Bob

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.